REALLY Important Mythcon Announcement

  • lynnmaudlin
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2009
      For those of you who purchased your Mythcon 41 memberships at UCLA this summer (and everybody else):

      >>> July 9-12, 2010 <<<

      THE DATES HAVE CHANGED - the new date is July 9-12, 2010 - that's one week earlier than we anticipated & announced as our target date.

      Turns out the expectation that we would have the date confirmed early in the school year was not a realistic expectation and Thanksgiving was more like the target window. So we're a week later than SMU anticipated.

      There are several really good aspects to this change that have to do with the space available to us at SMU and the groups on campus at the same time as Mythcon but the most exciting (imho, of course) is that the dates work for the campus sponsor (required by SMU) and the Mythcon 41 will have a special writers' track & a good chunk of local involvement.

      If you have a problem or questions regarding the date change (which, sadly, one Steward who does) please contact mythcon41 AT mythsoc DOT org (email address, you do the math).

      Whew!

      -- Lynn Maudlin, Secretary for Mythopoeic Conferences --
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 4, 2009
        "lynnmaudlin" <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:

        > THE DATES HAVE CHANGED - the new date is July 9-12, 2010
        >- that's one week earlier than we anticipated & announced as our
        >target date.

        Well, thank you for informing us. No skin off our teeth, whatever problems
        it may create for others. The only thing I'm unhappy about is that we have
        to be in TEXAS in JULY. Air conditioning! I intend to dart inside and not
        emerge for three days.

        >So we're a week later than SMU anticipated.

        OK, color me confused but in the previous paragraph you said (correctly)
        that we're a week _earlier_ than anticipated.

        > There are several really good aspects to this change that have to
        >do with the space available to us at SMU and the groups on campus
        >at the same time as Mythcon

        Just as long as we're not locked up again with a football team who are
        forbidden from having coffee.
      • David Emerson
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 4, 2009
          >From: David Bratman <dbratman@...>
          >
          >The only thing I'm unhappy about is that we have
          >to be in TEXAS in JULY. Air conditioning! I intend to dart inside and not
          >emerge for three days.

          Can't be much worse than Oklahoma in August! :-)

          emerdavid

          PeoplePC Online
          A better way to Internet
          http://www.peoplepc.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 4, 2009
            David Emerson <emerdavid@...> wrote:

            >Can't be much worse than Oklahoma in August! :-)

            "Sauron: Not much worse than Saruman!"
          • Jason Fisher
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 4, 2009
              And it might well be better. It will probably be in the 90s, but it hopefully won't be above 100. If I remember, it was well over 100 during the Oklahoma Mythcon!

              >The only thing I'm unhappy about is that we have
              >to be in TEXAS in JULY. Air conditioning! I intend to dart inside and not
              >emerge for three days.

              Can't be much worse than Oklahoma in August! :-)

              emerdavid

              PeoplePC Online
              A better way to Internet
              http://www.peoplepc .com

            • not_thou
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 6, 2009
                "Melkor hath devised heats and fire without restraint..."

                Highs and lows for Mythcon 2006 were:

                Friday -- 100 / 83
                Saturday -- 102 / 76
                Sunday -- 103 / 78
                Monday -- 97 / 75

                (In degrees Fahrenheit.)

                Source: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/climate/get_norman.php

                -Merlin

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 6, 2009
                  Sorry, David, that's an embarrassingly bad announcement, isn't it? Good thing I'm not being paid to make confusing announcements (no, I do that for free). MYTHCON 41 will happen a week earlier than the initial date with which the committee, the Stewards, and the Mythsoc worked. The "week later" comment was meant to reference *when* SMU promised we would have the conference date confirmed: they said we would know by Thanksgiving and we didn't; we were confirmed a week later.

                  Sorry -*blush*- thinking and typing simultaneously, not editing myself well... I beg off due to fatigue; last week was NUTS for me.

                  I am sure that Randy & Jason & team will insure that coffee is served in copious amounts. We're relatively good at not repeating the same mistakes (new and different mistakes, that's the ticket!).

                  Sorry for the confusion--

                  -- Lynn --

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 6, 2009
                    heh! Better because he has more letters in his name... (Lynn the Simple)

                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 6, 2009
                      You young'uns should take heart: I've gotten better at coping with heat as I age (think "fine wine" rather than old broad) so I didn't remember that Norman was that warm - and I had one of the little cottages so I left the building several times every day! What I remember about that was the cicadas making Big Noise-- don't have those in SoCal.

                      Nah, I think it will be hard to displace the 2nd Milwaukee Mythcon (1999, Mythcon 30) from the high water mark for hot & humid Mythcons lacking air conditioning. IIRC, David & Berni abandoned the site & bought themselves a hotel room for the duration. We were right on the lake & I understand it's usually moderated by the "lake effect" so our location didn't have A/C ("you won't need it..." Famous last words).

                      I missed Mary Stolzenbach's Mythcon in Nashville (*sigh* - how very sad that makes me; let that be a lesson to you: don't miss Mythcon!) - what was the weather like there?

                      -- Lynn --

                    • jbcroft@ou.edu
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 6, 2009
                        See, not that bad! ;)