Re: [mythsoc] Query

  • Lisa Padol
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 21, 2009
      > I've got a question about Gene
      > Wolfe's _An Evil Guest_; it was one of the
      > nominees for a Mythopoeic Award last time, so I assume a
      > number of Society
      > members have read it.  Early in the book, the female
      > protagonist is taken to
      > a living mountain in Canada.  (The mountain's wife
      > lives in one of the
      > mountain's caves.)  My question is about the source of
      > that mountain--Wolfe
      > is referring to other literary works in that novel,
      > particularly Lovecraft's
      > Mythos.  Is that mountain from something by
      > Lovecraft?  Is it from some
      > other writer?  I suppose it might also be from Native
      > American myths in
      > Canada.  (I read a paper on the novel at the South
      > Central Modern Language
      > Association this fall without knowing the source of the
      > mountain, so it's
      > not direly important; but one of these years I want to
      > revise and expand
      > that paper--and it would be nice to know for the
      > revision.)

      I have been told it is a reference to Cory Doctorow's novel _Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town_.

      -Lisa
    • CHRISTOPHER, DR. JOE R.
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 20 10:06 AM
        I'm looking for a reference about Tolkien's note on Joyce's _Finnegans Wake_. Scull and Hammond mention it in a general way in _The JRRT Companion and Guide_ 2.817, but I think I have seen a reference to the note that indicates Tolkien was interested in Joyce's playing with language or his puns or something of that sort. Can anyone give me the reference? Thanks. P.S. Tom Shippey, in _JRRT: Author of the Century_, uses _FW_ in comparisons, but that is not the point at issue. --Joe
      • Andrew Higgins
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 20 10:18 AM
          Dr Christopher

          As Dimitra Fimi indicates in her book Tolkien, Race and Cultural History - From Fairies to Hobbits (Palgrave 2010) there exists in the manuscripts of Tolkien's Secret Vice papers held at the Bodleian Library, Oxford two pages of notes on Joyce's Finnegan's Wake (MS Tolkien 24 fols 44-45) Fimi, 2010, p. 210. I also believe in one of the Parma Eldalamberon's there is a page that includes part of Anna Livia Plurabelle - will look when I get home.

          Hope that helps
          Andy

          From the IPAD of:
          Andrew Higgins
          Director of Development
          Glyndebourne (andrew.higgins@...)

          IPhone 07447644884

          Lif is læne: eal scæceð leoht and lif somod [life is fleeting: everything hastens away, light and life together]” (Beowulf trans by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1936).

          On 20 Jun 2014, at 18:06, "'CHRISTOPHER, DR. JOE R.' jchristopher@... [mythsoc]" <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          I'm looking for a reference about Tolkien's note on Joyce's _Finnegans Wake_. Scull and Hammond mention it in a general way in _The JRRT Companion and Guide_ 2.817, but I think I have seen a reference to the note that indicates Tolkien was interested in Joyce's playing with language or his puns or something of that sort. Can anyone give me the reference? Thanks. P.S. Tom Shippey, in _JRRT: Author of the Century_, uses _FW_ in comparisons, but that is not the point at issue. --Joe

        • Jeremy Edmonds