Re: [mythsoc] Harry Potter in the Original English?

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 47 , Aug 9, 2000
      >Take a look at www.amazon.co.uk. They have an edition which appears
      >to have a different cover, ISBN, and publisher. I'm not sure of any
      >other details that might be able to tell you if this is what you're
      >looking for.

      Amazon UK is indeed a good source for the British editions of the Harry
      Potter books (and almost anything else published in Britain). My wife and I
      have bought these as well as the American editions -- the former for the
      original text, the latter for the illustrations and much superior print
      quality. The Americanization of the text is happily not as much of an issue
      with the fourth volume, in which I noticed only "jumper" > "sweater", but
      "petrol" was left unchanged.

      Wayne Hammond
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 47 of 47 , Aug 15, 2000
        >I read that the publisher thought that Americans wouldn't buy a book,
        >especially for children, if it had "philosopher's" anything in the title.
        >Alas! Probably too close to the truth.

        So publishers may think, narrow-mindedly. I like to think that even
        Americans might find a phrase like "philosopher's stone" intriguing rather
        than off-putting. I do, and certainly children are attracted to such
        things, even if some adults are not. I first read about the Philosopher's
        Stone in Flash comics in the 1960s, when DC were throwing all sorts of
        education at its young audience without us realizing, and liked the sound
        of the words as much as the concept.

        Rowling's publishers, both of them I gather, of course also felt that no
        boy would read a book by a female author, hence "J.K." rather than
        "Joanne". It never bothered me as a young reader who wrote a book as long
        as it was good, and there can be few male Harry Potter fans now who don't
        know that Rowling is a woman.

        Wayne Hammond