Re: [mythsoc] Parma Eldalamberon Issue No. 18 - announcement

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 14, 2009
      Chris, are back issues numbered 10, 14, 15, and 16 available?  I know I've been harassing you about these issues at Mythcon every time I see you?

      Wendell Wagner

      In a message dated 11/14/2009 2:02:24 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, cgilson75@... writes:

      PARMA ELDALAMBERON 18

      Tengwesta Qenderinwa and
      Pre-Fëanorian Alphabets, Part 2

      By J. R. R. TOLKIEN

      http://www.eldalamb eron.com/ parma18.html

      _Parma Eldalamberon_ 'The Book of Elven-tongues' is a journal of the
      Elvish Linguistic Fellowship, a special interest group of the Society.
      The current issue presents previously unpublished writings by
      J. R. R. Tolkien concerning his Elvish languages and early versions
      of his invented scripts. These have been edited and annotated
      by Christopher Gilson, Arden R. Smith and Patrick H. Wynne, under
      the guidance of Christopher Tolkien and with the permission of the
      Tolkien Estate.

      The _Tengwesta Qenderinwa_ is a grammar of the Primitive Quendian
      language, which Tolkien imagined to be the common ancestor of the
      various Elven-tongues spoken in Middle-earth, such as Quenya, Noldorin,
      Lemberin and Pereldarin (the last two later called Sindarin and Nandorin).
      The earliest version of the _Tengwesta Qenderinwa_ was composed in
      the late 1930s around the same time as the _Etymologies, _ which is a
      collection of Primitive Quendian bases with examples of Elvish words
      derived from them. The _Tengwesta Qenderinwa_ describes the
      grammatical rules for the structure of Quendian bases and the derivation
      of primitive stems and words from them. The grammar gives an "Account
      of the Simple Component Sounds"; and has sections on "Base-structure" ;
      "Combination of Sounds in Word-formation" ; "Suffixion"; and
      "Accentuation. " There is also an introductory section on the "Descent
      of Tongues" which outlines the historical divisions of the various
      Elven-kindreds and the languages they spoke.

      Tolkien revised the _Tengwesta Qenderinwa_ extensively in the early
      1950s after completing the composition of _The Lord of the Rings,_
      incorporating new conceptions of the linguistic history which had
      emerged by then or those that arose during revisions to the _Quenta
      Silmarillion_ and associated writings in Tolkien's legendarium. The
      earliest and latest versions of the _Tengwesta Qenderinwa_ are presented
      in this issue of _Parma Eldalamberon, _ along with an editorial analysis
      of the stages of revision that the text underwent between the 1930s and
      1950s, and notes on the relation of the linguistic data in the text to that
      found in the _Etymologies. _

      The "Pre-Fëanorian Alphabets" is an edition of Tolkien's charts and
      notes from about 1924 to 1929 dealing with scripts that conceptually
      precede the Fëanorian Tengwar, which would eventually be included
      in _The Lord of the Rings._ This issue of _Parma Eldalamberon_
      contains "Pre-Fëanorian Alphabets, Part 2," with the alphabets called
      Qenyatic, Andyoqenya and Angloquenya, in modes which were
      designed for writing English. Tolkien's examples of the scripts are
      reproduced in fascimile. These include charts of the sounds represented
      by the letters, and various English words and texts written in the scripts.
      Transcriptions of the examples and editorial commentary on the dating
      and historical background are provided.

      Cover art by Adam Victor Christensen.

      _Parma Eldalamberon_ Issue Number 18 is a 150-page journal.
      Available for shipping November 23, 2009.

      The pre-publication cost is $30 per copy including postage and handling.

      Payment through PayPal can be made at:

      http://www.eldalamb eron.com/ parma18.html

      Or send check or money-order (U.S. funds only) to:

      Christopher Gilson
      1240 Dale Avenue, No. 40
      Mountain View, CA 94040
      U.S.A.

      Other issues of _Parma Eldalamberon_ include editions of the
      following works by J. R. R. Tolkien (available for purchase at
      the links given below):

      "The Grammar and Lexicon of the Gnomish Tongue"
      http://www.eldalamb eron.com/ parma11.html

      "_Sí Qente Feanor_ and Other Elvish Writings"
      http://www.eldalamb eron.com/ parma15.html

      "Early Elvish Poetry and Pre-Fëanorian Alphabets, Part 1"
      http://www.eldalamb eron.com/ parma16.html

      "Words, Phrases and Passages in _The Lord of the Rings_"
      http://www.eldalamb eron.com/ parma17.html

    • cgilson75
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 14, 2009
        Yes, back issues numbered 15 and 16 are available:

        http://www.eldalamberon.com/parma15.html

        http://www.eldalamberon.com/parma16.html

        Right now numbers 10 and 14 are out of print. See the
        above web pages for links to further information about
        back issues of _Parma Eldalamberon_ and their availability.

        Ideally, I would like to see all of the issues in print, not
        just some. Hopefully, if _Parma Eldalamberon 18_ is
        "successful" I can move forward on that.

        So tell your friends about it :-)

        Christopher Gilson