Re: [mythsoc] Daniel Pinkwater

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 29, 2009
      From: John Rateliff
      >... awards traditionally downplay the achievements of writers whose books are funny.

      That may also explain the absence of Jasper Fforde's "Thursday Next" novels. I've just read three in a row and had a marvelous time doing so. For sheer density of wackily inventive ideas, you can't beat 'em.

      emerdavid

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 29, 2009
        My favorite Pinkwaters: "Lizard Music" and "Young Adults". Specifically top-rankers on the same scale on which the Snarkout Boys are high.

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 29, 2009
          The books that I would recommend are the following:

          Borgel
          Lizard Music
          The Education of Robert Nifkin (although that has no fantastic content)
          The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death and The Snarkout Boys and the Baconsburg Horror
          The Neddiad and The Iggyssey

          I'm not even sure whether to class the books of Daniel Pinkwater as fantasy or science fiction or something else.  Sometimes I call him a surrealist who often uses the tropes of fantasy and science fiction.  Pinkwater himself says that he's not very interested in the dada art movement, since it didn't produce very good art, and he thinks surrealism was too boring and serious.