Re: [mythsoc] Daniel Pinkwater

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 28, 2009
      From: WendellWag@...

      >Am I the only Daniel Pinkwater fan here?

      Not at all. I love Pinkwater! He's hilarious! Though I admit I haven't read a large amount of his work, but I thoroughly enjoyed THE SNARKOUT BOYS AND THE AVOCADO OF DEATH and similar books.

      He once called in to Car Talk on NPR and there followed a side-splitting exchange with Tom and Ray ("Click and Clack, the Tappet brothers") concerning the problems of dogs getting carsick -- "canine mobile eructation," he called it: "when your huskie hurls; when your boxer barfs; when your peke pukes."

      emerdavid

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
    • John Rateliff
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 29, 2009
        By no means! I'm a great admirer of THE SNARKOUT BOYS AND THE AVOCADO OF DOOM* and its sequel THE SNARKOUT BOYS AND THE BACONBURG HORROR; I even have an audiobook of the former (was ever any book so obviously written by a man on a diet?), read by the author himself. But I've never been able to get enthused about any of his other books, of which I've only read a smattering.  Any you'd particularly recommend?

        As for why he hasn't won -- well, the Snarkout books occupy a weird almost-fantasy realm. And his masterpieces came out before there was a Children's Fantasy Award. Plus they're comic, and awards traditionally downplay the achievements of writers whose books are funny.

        --JDR

        *"Oh, lordy, he's got me by the feet!"

        On Oct 28, 2009, at 8:09 AM, WendellWag@... wrote:
        Am I the only Daniel Pinkwater fan here?  I am almost finished with his new book The Yggyssey, and it occurred to me that I should nominate it for next year's Mythopoeic Children's Fantasy Award.  Then I realized that no Pinkwater book has ever made the list of finalists.  Why not, I wonder.  I think his stuff is great.  Pinkwater deserves his own Library of America volume.  (It's possible for a living author to get a volume, since Philip Roth has one.  It's possible for a science fiction author to get one, since Philip K. Dick got three of them.  It's possible for a humor writer to get one, since James Thurber and George Kaufman each got one.)  For the moment, I'll settle for nominating The Yggyssey (and maybe the earlier book The Neddiad, since it's a series) for next year's Mythopoeic award.

        Wendell Wagner

      • David Emerson
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 29, 2009
          From: John Rateliff
          >... awards traditionally downplay the achievements of writers whose books are funny.

          That may also explain the absence of Jasper Fforde's "Thursday Next" novels. I've just read three in a row and had a marvelous time doing so. For sheer density of wackily inventive ideas, you can't beat 'em.

          emerdavid

          PeoplePC Online
          A better way to Internet
          http://www.peoplepc.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 29, 2009
            My favorite Pinkwaters: "Lizard Music" and "Young Adults". Specifically top-rankers on the same scale on which the Snarkout Boys are high.

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 29, 2009
              The books that I would recommend are the following:

              Borgel
              Lizard Music
              The Education of Robert Nifkin (although that has no fantastic content)
              The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death and The Snarkout Boys and the Baconsburg Horror
              The Neddiad and The Iggyssey

              I'm not even sure whether to class the books of Daniel Pinkwater as fantasy or science fiction or something else.  Sometimes I call him a surrealist who often uses the tropes of fantasy and science fiction.  Pinkwater himself says that he's not very interested in the dada art movement, since it didn't produce very good art, and he thinks surrealism was too boring and serious.