Re: awards

  • Matthew R. Williams
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 17, 1999
      I'll definitely have to put these on my reading list. I've also recommended
      purchasing them to my children's librarian. BTW, the second Harry Potter
      book is out, "Harry Potter and the secret chamber" and the third is out in
      September. I have to wonder about the quality when they are being put out
      at that rate.

      >Re: the children's nominees, I had found Dalkey's _The Nightingale_ a pleasant
      >but fairly undistinguished book when it was a finalist for the adult award a few
      >years back, and expected to have a similar reaction to the two new Japanese
      >fantasies, _Little Sister_ and _The Heavenward Path_, which I needed to read
      >when the latter became a finalist for the award this year. To my surprise, I
      >found the former excellent.

      Matthew R. Williams
      Library Director
      Watertown Public Library
      Watertown, WI 53094
      director@...-wi.org
    • David Lenander
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 18, 1999
        I corresponded with David Bratman, who is not on this list, and he confirmed
        that (contrary to a note posted here recently) the final balloting deadline for
        the Mythopoeic Awards is JULY 15, not June 15. I don't know that he'd still
        accept any volunteers for the committees, but whether for this year or next, you
        must commit (at minimum) to reading all 5 nominees & voting for the award. (Of
        course there are only 4 nominees in each of the Scholarship categories, due to a
        tie in the preliminary balloting for the 5th place, and a dearth of nominees in
        the other case). Contact David Bratman for more information about the awards at
        d.bratman@...

        David Lenander
        293 Selby Ave. work: (612)626-3375
        St. Paul, MN 55102-1811 home: (651)292-8887
        fax: (612)626-2454
        e-mail: d-lena@...

        Bree Moot 4/Mythcon XXX web-page:
        http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/m391/d-lena/BreeMoot.html

        David Lenander
        293 Selby Ave. work: (612)626-3375
        St. Paul, MN 55102-1811 home: (651)292-8887
        fax: (612)626-2454
        e-mail: d-lena@...

        Bree Moot 4/Mythcon XXX web-page:
        http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/m391/d-lena/BreeMoot.html
      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 7, 2006
          So, Mythcon's over -- who won the Mythopoeic awards? Anyone care to
          post? And how did the con go generally?
          --JDR
        • Oberhelman, D
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 7, 2006
            Since Janet is no doubt recovering and most of the others are still in planes or on the road, I'll briefly say that a good time was had by all. The keynote speakers, Lois McMaster Bujold and Amy Sturgis, were both outstanding, and there were many fascinating papers on a wide variety of topics such as Inklings, Native American fantasy, fantasy landscape, etc. I'll let others go into the details, but I and others I talked to enjoyed ourselves thoroughly.

            As for the awards:

            Inkings: Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull, Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion
            Myth and Fantasy: Jennifer Schacker, National Dreams: The Remaking of Fairy Tales in Nineteenth-Century England
            Children's: Jonathan Stroud, The Bartimaeus Trilogy
            Adult: Neil Gaiman, Anasasi Boys

            **************************************
            David D. Oberhelman, Ph.D.
            Associate Professor
            Humanities-Social Sciences Division
            Oklahoma State University Library
            Stillwater, OK 74078
            Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579
            Email: d.oberhelman@...

            So, Mythcon's over -- who won the Mythopoeic awards? Anyone care to
            post? And how did the con go generally?
            --JDR

          • Berni Phillips
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 8, 2006
              From: "Oberhelman, D" <d.oberhelman@...>

              > Since Janet is no doubt recovering and most of the others are still in
              > planes or on the road, I'll briefly say that a good time was had by all.
              > The keynote speakers, Lois McMaster Bujold and Amy Sturgis, were both
              > outstanding, and there were many fascinating papers on a wide variety of
              > topics such as Inklings, Native American fantasy, fantasy landscape, etc.
              > I'll let others go into the details, but I and others I talked to enjoyed
              > ourselves thoroughly.
              >
              > **************************************
              > David D. Oberhelman, Ph.D.
              > Associate Professor
              > Humanities-Social Sciences Division
              > Oklahoma State University Library
              > Stillwater, OK 74078
              > Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579
              > Email: d.oberhelman@...

              It should be noted, too, that David Oberhelman is one of two new stewards
              announced at Mythcon. I'm sorry -- I forgot which position David is doing.
              We also have a new webmaster (Randy Hoyt? Was that the name?) as the other
              new steward. The discussion groups position was rolled into the membership
              secretary under Marion Van Loo.

              Berni
            • John D Rateliff
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 9, 2006