Re: [mythsoc] Re: Ace claim that they were the only ones paying royalties directly to Tolkien

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 27, 2009
      Lynn wrote:

      I remember Mike Foster's fascinating paper on the Ace editions presented at Birmingham 2005

      The paper was actually by Nancy Martsch, and appears first in the published conference proceedings. A fuller and more accurate account of the Ace affair, though, is the one in my and Christina's Reader's Guide to which David referred in his reply to Wendell: this was based not only on secondary sources, but on a wealth of correspondence among Tolkien, Allen & Unwin, and Houghton Mifflin in the Allen & Unwin archives.

      I too am glad to know about the misleading Ace statement in Silverlock.

      Wayne
    • lynnmaudlin
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 28, 2009
        Thanks, Wayne - you're right about Nancy Martsch - I'd forgotten that Mike was *reading* her paper (!!) - guess this proves I am no scholar, to forget my sources!

        I've not read that section in your excellent book; sadly that book is already packed (as is 85% of my library) in anticipation of moving Real Soon Now... *sigh*

        thanks! I trust you and the lovely Christina are well - will we see you in Dallas next summer, maybe maybe? I sure enjoyed seeing you in Connecticut last year...

        -- Lynn --