Re: [mythsoc] Ace claim that they were the only ones paying royalties directly to Tolkien

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 21, 2009
      I don't want to post there, nor to be quoted directly, but I can tell you
      informally that you're on the right track. Ace agreed to pay royalties
      directly to Tolkien, as opposed to routing them through the hardcover
      publishers as Ballantine was presumably doing.

      The fact that you're missing is that Ace did not withdraw their edition from
      the market immediately on the agreeement, but instead agreed "not to reprint
      it when it is exhausted." See Letters p. 367, and Reader's Guide, p. 5.
      This ad obviously dates from the interim period before the Ace edition went
      out of print.

      What I hadn't known is that Ace was going around making this unwarrented
      claim of authorization, on the basis of their misleading statement about the
      royalties and making out that their peace settlement with Tolkien somehow
      made their edition authorized.

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 27, 2009
        I remember Mike Foster's fascinating paper on the Ace editions presented at Birmingham 2005 *but* I don't remember all the details; as I recall there was some odd work on the British publisher's part regarding American copyrights and trying to bring the books into the country inexpensively under the "x-many copies imported" clause; I think Mike felt the Ace editions forced the legitimate release of LOTR in paperback & did a great deal to popularize Tolkien in America but check with Mike rather than relying on my memory!

        -- Lynn --

        > I don't want to post there, nor to be quoted directly, but I can tell you
        > informally that you're on the right track. Ace agreed to pay royalties
        > directly to Tolkien, as opposed to routing them through the hardcover
        > publishers as Ballantine was presumably doing.
        >
        > The fact that you're missing is that Ace did not withdraw their edition from
        > the market immediately on the agreeement, but instead agreed "not to reprint
        > it when it is exhausted." See Letters p. 367, and Reader's Guide, p. 5.
        > This ad obviously dates from the interim period before the Ace edition went
        > out of print.
        >
        > What I hadn't known is that Ace was going around making this unwarrented
        > claim of authorization, on the basis of their misleading statement about the
        > royalties and making out that their peace settlement with Tolkien somehow
        > made their edition authorized.

      • Wayne G. Hammond
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 27, 2009
          Lynn wrote:

          I remember Mike Foster's fascinating paper on the Ace editions presented at Birmingham 2005

          The paper was actually by Nancy Martsch, and appears first in the published conference proceedings. A fuller and more accurate account of the Ace affair, though, is the one in my and Christina's Reader's Guide to which David referred in his reply to Wendell: this was based not only on secondary sources, but on a wealth of correspondence among Tolkien, Allen & Unwin, and Houghton Mifflin in the Allen & Unwin archives.

          I too am glad to know about the misleading Ace statement in Silverlock.

          Wayne
        • lynnmaudlin
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 28, 2009
            Thanks, Wayne - you're right about Nancy Martsch - I'd forgotten that Mike was *reading* her paper (!!) - guess this proves I am no scholar, to forget my sources!

            I've not read that section in your excellent book; sadly that book is already packed (as is 85% of my library) in anticipation of moving Real Soon Now... *sigh*

            thanks! I trust you and the lovely Christina are well - will we see you in Dallas next summer, maybe maybe? I sure enjoyed seeing you in Connecticut last year...

            -- Lynn --