Journey to the Sea #14

  • hoytrand
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 15, 2009
      I have published the fourteenth issue of my online myth magazine Journey to the Sea [http://journeytothesea.com/%5d. This issue includes an article by society member Jason Fisher on Lloyd Alexander's *Prydain Cycle* and an article by me on *Where The Wild Things Are* (the book).

      In addition to these two typical examples of modern mythopoeic literature, the third article looks the film *Katyn* by Polish film director Andrzej Wajda. The film is not fantastical at all -- I suppose it qualifies as historical fiction, looking at the tragic 1940 massacre in the Poland forest Katyn -- but Laura Gibbs looks at how Wajda wove the Greek myth of Antigone into the film.

      Enjoy!
      ~Randy

      --------

      Katyn: History, Lies, Fiction and Myth
      http://journeytothesea.com/katyn-history-myth/
      ----
      Laura looks at the 2007 film Katyn, exploring how director Andrzej Wajda wove Greek myth and his own biography into the fictional character of Agnieszka to give a true account of the tragic 1940 massacre in Poland.

      Welsh Mythological Underpinnings of Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Cycle
      http://journeytothesea.com/welsh-alexander-prydain/
      ----
      Jason considers Lloyd Alexander's careful borrowing of material from Welsh mythology (especially stories from the Mabinogion) to create a compelling backdrop against which to tell his own stories.

      Imagination in Where The Wild Things Are
      http://journeytothesea.com/imagination-wild-things/
      ----
      Randy examines some subtle details in the illustrations of one of his childhood favorites to see what Maurice Sendak's classic picture book has to say about the transforming power of imagination.