Re: [mythsoc] Irish terms -- preferred spellings

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 9, 2009
      I prefer Tuatha de Danaan and Tir na nOg.

         James MacKillop's Oxford DICTIONARY OF CELTIC MYTHOLOGY, a good authority, seems to prefer 'Tuatha De Danaan (with an accent on the 'De') and Tir na nOg (with an accent on the nOg), though he gives three variants of each.

      --John R.

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 11, 2009
        Tuatha Dé Danann

        Tír na nÓg

        These are the most correct as far as my Irish knowledge takes me, though Alexei would have a greater authority.  ---djb

        I’m trying to develop editorial standards for Mythlore for a couple of Irish mythological terms. Anybody out there with some expertise on the matter care to state a scholarly preference?

        Tuatha Dé Danann or Tuatha de Danaan?

        Tír na nÓg or Tir-nan-Og or Tir Na Nog or…

        Thanks!
        Janet

        Janet Brennan Croft
        Associate Professor
        Head of Access Services
        University of Oklahoma Libraries
        Bizzell 104NW
        Norman OK 73019
        405-325-1918
        Fax 405-325-7618
        jbcroft@...
        http://faculty- staff.ou. edu/C/Janet. B.Croft-1/
        http://libraries. ou.edu/
        Editor of Mythlore http://www.mythsoc. org/mythlore. html
        Book Review Editor of Oklahoma Librarian
        http://www.oklibs. org/oklibrarian/ current/index. html

      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 12, 2009

          Thanks all – this seems to be the consensus, so I’ll go with it.

          Janet

          http://libraries.ou.edu/

        • alexeik@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 13, 2009
            I’m trying to develop editorial standards for Mythlore for a couple of
            Irish mythological terms. Anybody out there with some expertise on the
            matter care to state a scholarly preference?

            Tuatha Dé Danann or Tuatha de Danaan?

            Tír na nÓg or Tir-nan-Og or Tir Na Nog or…

            <<
            In both cases, the first of the alternatives is the correct one.
            Alexei
          • Croft, Janet B.
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 13, 2009

              Thanks!  That’s what I’ll use for Mythlore’s house style then.

              Janet