Re: [mythsoc] Irish terms -- preferred spellings

  • scribbler@scribblerworks.us
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 9, 2009
      Alexei Kontratiev is probably the person you should ask -- I had a year of
      Old Irish, but I'm no expert. Alexei has far more expertise for such
      matters.

      Sarah

      > I'm trying to develop editorial standards for Mythlore for a couple of
      > Irish mythological terms. Anybody out there with some expertise on the
      > matter care to state a scholarly preference?
      >
      > Tuatha Dé Danann or Tuatha de Danaan?
      >
      > Tír na nÓg or Tir-nan-Og or Tir Na Nog or...
      >
      > Thanks!
      > Janet
      >

      > Janet Brennan Croft
      > Associate Professor
      > Head of Access Services
      > University of Oklahoma Libraries
      > Bizzell 104NW
      > Norman OK 73019
      > 405-325-1918
      > Fax 405-325-7618
      > jbcroft@... <mailto:jbcroft@...>
      > http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/
      > http://libraries.ou.edu/
      > Editor of Mythlore http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html
      > Book Review Editor of Oklahoma Librarian
      > http://www.oklibs.org/oklibrarian/current/index.html
      > "Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the rising ape
      > meets the falling angel." -Terry Pratchett

    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 9, 2009
        I prefer Tuatha de Danaan and Tir na nOg.

           James MacKillop's Oxford DICTIONARY OF CELTIC MYTHOLOGY, a good authority, seems to prefer 'Tuatha De Danaan (with an accent on the 'De') and Tir na nOg (with an accent on the nOg), though he gives three variants of each.

        --John R.

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 11, 2009
          Tuatha Dé Danann

          Tír na nÓg

          These are the most correct as far as my Irish knowledge takes me, though Alexei would have a greater authority.  ---djb

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 12, 2009

            Thanks all – this seems to be the consensus, so I’ll go with it.

            Janet

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 13, 2009
              I’m trying to develop editorial standards for Mythlore for a couple of
              Irish mythological terms. Anybody out there with some expertise on the
              matter care to state a scholarly preference?

              Tuatha Dé Danann or Tuatha de Danaan?

              Tír na nÓg or Tir-nan-Og or Tir Na Nog or…

              <<
              In both cases, the first of the alternatives is the correct one.
              Alexei
            • Croft, Janet B.
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 13, 2009

                Thanks!  That’s what I’ll use for Mythlore’s house style then.

                Janet