Irish terms -- preferred spellings

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 9, 2009
      I’m trying to develop editorial standards for Mythlore for a couple of Irish mythological terms. Anybody out there with some expertise on the matter care to state a scholarly preference?

      Tuatha Dé Danann or Tuatha de Danaan?

      Tír na nÓg or Tir-nan-Og or Tir Na Nog or…

      Thanks!
      Janet

      Janet Brennan Croft
      Associate Professor
      Head of Access Services
      University of Oklahoma Libraries
      Bizzell 104NW
      Norman OK 73019
      405-325-1918
      Fax 405-325-7618
      jbcroft@...
      http://libraries.ou.edu/
      Book Review Editor of Oklahoma Librarian
      http://www.oklibs.org/oklibrarian/current/index.html

    • scribbler@scribblerworks.us
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 9, 2009
        Alexei Kontratiev is probably the person you should ask -- I had a year of
        Old Irish, but I'm no expert. Alexei has far more expertise for such
        matters.

        Sarah

        > I'm trying to develop editorial standards for Mythlore for a couple of
        > Irish mythological terms. Anybody out there with some expertise on the
        > matter care to state a scholarly preference?
        >
        > Tuatha Dé Danann or Tuatha de Danaan?
        >
        > Tír na nÓg or Tir-nan-Og or Tir Na Nog or...
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Janet
        >

        > Janet Brennan Croft
        > Associate Professor
        > Head of Access Services
        > University of Oklahoma Libraries
        > Bizzell 104NW
        > Norman OK 73019
        > 405-325-1918
        > Fax 405-325-7618
        > jbcroft@... <mailto:jbcroft@...>
        > http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/
        > http://libraries.ou.edu/
        > Editor of Mythlore http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html
        > Book Review Editor of Oklahoma Librarian
        > http://www.oklibs.org/oklibrarian/current/index.html
        > "Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the rising ape
        > meets the falling angel." -Terry Pratchett

      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 9, 2009
          I prefer Tuatha de Danaan and Tir na nOg.

             James MacKillop's Oxford DICTIONARY OF CELTIC MYTHOLOGY, a good authority, seems to prefer 'Tuatha De Danaan (with an accent on the 'De') and Tir na nOg (with an accent on the nOg), though he gives three variants of each.

          --John R.

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 11, 2009
            Tuatha Dé Danann

            Tír na nÓg

            These are the most correct as far as my Irish knowledge takes me, though Alexei would have a greater authority.  ---djb

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 12, 2009

              Thanks all – this seems to be the consensus, so I’ll go with it.

              Janet

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 13, 2009
                I’m trying to develop editorial standards for Mythlore for a couple of
                Irish mythological terms. Anybody out there with some expertise on the
                matter care to state a scholarly preference?

                Tuatha Dé Danann or Tuatha de Danaan?

                Tír na nÓg or Tir-nan-Og or Tir Na Nog or…

                <<
                In both cases, the first of the alternatives is the correct one.
                Alexei
              • Croft, Janet B.
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 13, 2009

                  Thanks!  That’s what I’ll use for Mythlore’s house style then.

                  Janet