Re: An Old Debate

  • not_thou
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 5, 2009
      ---"John Davis" <john@...> wrote:
      << A few months ago, there was a debate on this list about whether LotR was a solely Catholic work, or whether it was also, in addition, a Pagan/Neo-Pagan/Green/what-have-you work. Arguments were made on both sides, but neither really convinced the other, and eventually we got distracted, if memory servers, by moral relativity (as one does!). >>

      Posts to this list are archived, so if you wish, you can reread that discussion starting with this message from June by Alana Joli Abbott:

      -Merlin
    • Alana Joli Abbott
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 5, 2009
        Not to start this up again, either, but an item of interest -- my correspondent (the one whom I had told that Tolkien believed the work to be Catholic, whether or not that was actually the case) did an very interesting analysis of British Catholicism and culture (as an American who has emigrated to Britain) and compared what she sees in the British attitude of the Catholic church to elements in the novels. Her notes were definitely a take I hadn't seen before, and I found them quite interesting. I'd be happy to paraphrase off list to people who were interested (with the note that my correspondent is not a fan of the novels, finding them far too pagan for her taste, as a Catholic herself).

        -Alana

        .