Re: Inklings & Masterpiece Theatre

  • not_thou
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2009
      ---Bill West <billwest48@...> wrote:
      > Did anyone else catch the "Inspector Lewis" episode last night
      > about a fantasy author? There were quite a few references to C.S. Lewis, Tolkien, and The Inklings. If you missed it, they usually repeat it during the week on PBS.

      A little more on this episode from the detective series "Lewis": according to Wikipedia, its title is "Allegory of Love", and it aired in the UK in March. Characters include a fantasy author who's written a book called "Boxlands, which was inspired by the childhood stories of C.S. Lewis".

      -Merlin DeTardo
    • lynnmaudlin
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 27, 2009
        I was able to watch this on the internet (being a TV-free zone) and found it delightful because Oxford is always delightful. There were amusing references to CSL & Tolkien, a scene in the Eagle & Child referencing the Inklings meeting there (but perpetrating the myth that they READ their works there - wrong! they drank & socialized there).

        There is also a realistic representation of the standard Oxford disparagement of fantasy.

        They also say CSLewis lectured while waving a sword called "the sword of truth" around his head-- (!!) okay...!

        -- Lynn --