Re: [mythsoc] An Old Debate

  • John Davis
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 5, 2009
      I'll have to disagree with you there, too. I believe, as I said, that all who were considering LotR solely a Catholic work were implicitly claiming the former, since the Pagan readers' opinion was repeatedly discounted, whilst those who thought it Pagan,Green, etc. implicitly  - and perhaps unconsciously - claiming the latter.

      You are right, though, in that the fact of seeing something in a work must, as you say, at least for it to have any broader validity, be justified by the text, and this I made clear in my email ('if reader sees in LotR a Pagan world-view and _the text can support it_').

      John

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 5, 2009
        ---"John Davis" <john@...> wrote:
        << A few months ago, there was a debate on this list about whether LotR was a solely Catholic work, or whether it was also, in addition, a Pagan/Neo-Pagan/Green/what-have-you work. Arguments were made on both sides, but neither really convinced the other, and eventually we got distracted, if memory servers, by moral relativity (as one does!). >>

        Posts to this list are archived, so if you wish, you can reread that discussion starting with this message from June by Alana Joli Abbott:

        -Merlin
      • Alana Joli Abbott
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 5, 2009
          Not to start this up again, either, but an item of interest -- my correspondent (the one whom I had told that Tolkien believed the work to be Catholic, whether or not that was actually the case) did an very interesting analysis of British Catholicism and culture (as an American who has emigrated to Britain) and compared what she sees in the British attitude of the Catholic church to elements in the novels. Her notes were definitely a take I hadn't seen before, and I found them quite interesting. I'd be happy to paraphrase off list to people who were interested (with the note that my correspondent is not a fan of the novels, finding them far too pagan for her taste, as a Catholic herself).

          -Alana

          .