Re: [mythsoc] Fairness for Harry Potter critics?

  • Ted Sherman
    Message 1 of 47 , Aug 9 10:08 AM
      The first two HP books sold so well with almost no marketing; even the third was
      out before it became a major publishing event in the US. The books are hugely
      popular not because of the marketing, but in spite of it.

      Ted

      Stolzi@... wrote:

      > I think teachers started using the HP books (assigning them - are they really
      > doing that??) because they were already hot, and teachers are almost
      > desperate to turn kids on to reading.
      >
      > Somewhere I read that the first one actually took off by word-of-mouth
      > between the kids themselves.
      >
      > Mary S

      Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
      Mythopoeic Literature
      Box X041, Department of English
      Middle Tennessee State University
      Murfreesboro, TN 37132
      615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
      tsherman@...
      tedsherman@...
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 47 of 47 , Aug 15 7:38 PM
        >I read that the publisher thought that Americans wouldn't buy a book,
        >especially for children, if it had "philosopher's" anything in the title.
        >Alas! Probably too close to the truth.

        So publishers may think, narrow-mindedly. I like to think that even
        Americans might find a phrase like "philosopher's stone" intriguing rather
        than off-putting. I do, and certainly children are attracted to such
        things, even if some adults are not. I first read about the Philosopher's
        Stone in Flash comics in the 1960s, when DC were throwing all sorts of
        education at its young audience without us realizing, and liked the sound
        of the words as much as the concept.

        Rowling's publishers, both of them I gather, of course also felt that no
        boy would read a book by a female author, hence "J.K." rather than
        "Joanne". It never bothered me as a young reader who wrote a book as long
        as it was good, and there can be few male Harry Potter fans now who don't
        know that Rowling is a woman.

        Wayne Hammond