Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 20, 2009
      I think that I remember _Lilith_ by MacDonald as the book that I liked best, and which impacted me most.  But there was an anthology of 4 shorter pieces, including one of Richard Garnett's _Twilight of the Gods_ stories (or maybe two) which I really liked, the four Evangeline Walton *Mabinogion* books, the Joy Chant _Red Moon, Black Mountain_, and all of the Dunsany, especially _The King of Elfland's Daughter_, and at the time I was very taken with _Deryni Rising_ by Katherine Kurtz, though that didn't wear so well for me. I like Cabell better now than I did then, and for that matter, much of Dunsany was too ironic for my tastes at the time. Saunders Anne Laubenthal's _Excalibur_ was a big hit with a lot of people in the Society, but I didn't like it quite so well, though I liked it better than some of the others mentioned.  I can't remember if the Peter Beagle books eventually acquired the logo, but they may have been part of the series, and they'd be among my top choices, too.  The Gormenghast Books were added to the series later on, and I loved those, too. Oh, and I almost forgot Poul Anderson's _Broken Sword_ and _Hrolf Kraki's Saga_, which are wonderful.  The latter is something of a masterpiece.  The Bramah Kai-Lung books are fun, though didn't actually read them until long afterwards. _Vathek_ is another masterpiece, and Lin Carter did something that was obvious but no one else had done, he put in the short stories in the middle, the ones that were told in the course of the narrative, but which Beckford actually wrote later on, after publication of the original edition.  Another Lin Carter editorial change was to leave the poetry out of _Phantastes_.  His version is the only one I've read, I wonder sometimes what I would think of the poetry.  I didn't actually read _The Man Who Was Thursday_ until much later, in another edition, but it would've been a book I liked a lot if I had discovered it then. Oh, and David Lindsay's _A Voyage to Arcturus_.  I still don't know what I think of that book, but it had a big impact on me (as it clearly did on C.S. Lewis, not to mention Harold Bloom).  I did like _Lud-in-the-Mist_, but not to the degree that many people, especially other writers, seem to love it. And I have to confess that I still haven't managed to read _The Shaving of Shagpat_, despite starting it several times, and even though as someone who is supposedly interested in the Victorians, and particularly the Pre-Raphaelites, I ought to have done so long ago.  I mostly read Morris in the public library, but I may have first discovered his books in the Carter editions, at least the first one.  I never really liked Morris in my teens, but I read him dutifully, and could see how influential he was. Years later, after some essay in one of the MSA-nominated anthologies, I went back to the _Water of the Wondrous Isles_, which I had in the Carter-edited edition, and I liked it a lot. LIkewise, I finally came to appreciate Morris's "Defense of Guenivere," but that wasn't part of the Ballantine Series.

      On Sep 20, 2009, at 4:27 AM, Joe Hoopman wrote:
      1a.

      Re: Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series

      Posted by: "Joe Hoopman" hoopmanjh@...   hoopmanjh

      Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:25 pm (PDT

      Best would probably be the usual suspects: Clark Ashton Smith, James Branch

      Cabell, Lord Dunsany (although I must say I prefer his short stories to the
      novels), Lovecraft, Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees, and maybe the
      occasional William Morris or George MacDonald. And I have to say I really
      enjoyed the anthologies Lin Carter edited for the series -- Young Magicians
      and New Worlds for Old in particular.

      David Lenander
      2095 Hamline Ave. N.
      Roseville, MN 55113

      651-292-8887

    • pegasus48124
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 20, 2009
        Wikipedia places all the Tolkien books, the E.R. Eddison, Peake and two by Beagle and the David Lindsay in a kind of publisher's pre-series, follwed by the first actual series book "The Blue Star" by Pratt. Some of the pre-series obtained unicorns on their covers in reprints, including the Beagle books.
        My most recent reading in the Ballantine books include Bok's "Sorcerer's Ship", which I liked but found suitable for young readers and not too adult at all (it also contains an unbelievably good first person description of a sword fight on board a ship); a rereading of "Well at the World's End" by Morris, first read when I was 17. I read these slowly, a few chapters at a time while reading other books. I loved it then and I love it now, especially his ability to tell stories within stories and keep everything tied together--also the final book of Vol. 2 is amazing as the couple backtrack to Upmeads and find big changes in the world they left behind. Far from a simple recap, the story continues to progress as Ralph arrives to drive the bad guys out of his homeland just in time (shades of Tolkien when his newly returned and battle-hardened Hobbits return to save the Shire in Return of the King--this is the part of the LORs movies I wanted so badly to see, and it was not even included--instead we see four Hobbits indistinguishable from their comrades at a pub, seemingly unchanged by their adventures); Beagle's absolutely brilliant "A Fine and Private Place", especially the way he brings back at the very end the story about the seagull in Iowa told him by the Raven, which ties everything together so nicley (this book makes an odd companion novel to Iain Banks' "Crow Road"); and lastly I have just finished Pratt's "Blue Star", an odd book I didn't care for very much (it is very much an adult book). Presently I am rereading "King of Elfland's Daughter" by Dunsany.

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 20, 2009
          pegasus48124 <pegasus48124@...> wrote:

          >Wikipedia places all the Tolkien books, the E.R. Eddison,
          >Peake and two by Beagle and the David Lindsay in a kind
          >of publisher's pre-series, followed by the first actual series
          >book "The Blue Star" by Pratt.

          Here they are merely following series editor Lin Carter's classification, as listed in his book _Imaginary Worlds_, which contains a list of all the Adult Fantasy series books up to that date (June 1973). "I list them below, in sequence of publication, as a sort of preface to the Series proper: they are all books I would certainly have urged Ballantine to publish." He then goes on to explain how the series itself began and how he was brought in to edit it.
        • Joe Hoopman
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 21, 2009
            Phantastes was another one I enjoyed. I actually first encountered it in a
            book called A Treasury of Fantasy edited by Cary Wilkins. It included, in
            addition to Phantastes, The Wood Beyond the World by William Morris, King of
            the Golden River by John Ruskin, and stories by Lovecraft, Le Guin and
            Howard, amongst others. Quite a nice collection, actually, with a really
            dreadful cover.

            On a semi-BAF-related note, University Press of Kentucky just (re?)
            published a volume containing translations of Amadis of Gaul, books III and
            IV. (Carter included at least one Amadis excerpt in one of the
            anthologies.)

            Hmmmm . . . Now I'm thinking it may be time to continue my next go-round
            through the series -- I think Cabell's High Place would be next in line . .
            .

            Joe Hoopman

            1a. Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series
            Posted by: "David Lenander" d-lena@... davidlenander
            Date: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:45 am ((PDT))

> [...]
            I had in the Carter-edited edition, and I liked it a lot. LIkewise, I
            finally came to appreciate Morris's "Defense of Guenivere," but that
            wasn't part of the Ballantine Series.

            On Sep 20, 2009, at 4:27 AM, Joe Hoopman wrote:
            >> 1a.
            >> Re: Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series
            >> Posted by: "Joe Hoopman" hoopmanjh@... hoopmanjh
            >> Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:25 pm (PDT
            >>

            >> Best would probably be the usual suspects: Clark Ashton Smith,
            >> James Branch
            >>
            >> Cabell, Lord Dunsany (although I must say I prefer his short
            >> stories to the
            >> novels), Lovecraft, Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees, and maybe the
            >> occasional William Morris or George MacDonald. And I have to say I
            >> really
            >> enjoyed the anthologies Lin Carter edited for the series -- Young

          • Diane Joy Baker
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 21, 2009
              What a great question.

              One I might add is *The History of Our World Beyond the Wave*
              by R. E. Klein.  That has a lot of lingering imagery.  ---djb

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 23, 2009
                Coincidentally, I just read City at the End of Time a couple of months ago.
                I think there was actually a clear (if not explicit) reference to Hodgson
                and the Night Land at one point. I quite liked City, but I've always been a
                fan of entropic romance . . .

                Joe Hoopman

                Re: FW: Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series
                Posted by: "alexeik@..." alexeik@... celtbear49
                Date: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:44 am ((PDT))

                Greg Bear's _City at the End of Time_ (on the long list for the last
                MFA) is rather obviously indebted to _The Night Land_.
                Alexei