FW: Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series

  • Joe Hoopman
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 18, 2009
      I loved the setting and the imagery -- it was Hodgson's appalling
      faux-medieval prose that made the book such a chore at times. (Morris and
      Eddison were much more successful in their use of language.) In the past
      couple of years, there have been two anthologies of recent Night Land
      fiction published, both edited by Andy Robertson. As always with these
      kinds of things, some stories are better than others, but they're worth
      tracking down.

      Joe

      >1b. Re: Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series
      > Posted by: "pegasus48124" pegasus48124@... pegasus48124
      > Date: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:59 am ((PDT))
      >
      >I could see how the Night Land might be challenging to some, especially the
      2nd volume. However, I had also just got a keen interest in Brueghel and
      Bosch at the time >(early 70s), and their paintings were constantly on my
      mind. So finding the Night Land was like reading a story about someone
      entering a Bosch painting, which I found >very timely.
    • alexeik@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 21, 2009
        I loved the setting and the imagery -- it was Hodgson's appalling
        faux-medieval prose that made the book such a chore at times. (Morris
        and
        Eddison were much more successful in their use of language.) In the past
        couple of years, there have been two anthologies of recent Night Land
        fiction published, both edited by Andy Robertson. As always with these
        kinds of things, some stories are better than others, but they're worth
        tracking down.

        Joe

        <<

        Greg Bear's _City at the End of Time_ (on the long list for the last
        MFA) is rather obviously indebted to _The Night Land_.
        Alexei