Re: [mythsoc] Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series

  • Diane Joy Baker
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 17, 2009
      I have gradually picked up a number of Ballantine Adult Fantasies gradually from used book stores;  the covers are often amazing, esp. the ones from Gervasio Gallardo, which wrap around.  The George MacDonald covers are very good.  Great fiction inside, too.

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 18, 2009
        You say you've read the whole series (I'm getting there slowly,also reading many other things as I go). What were some of the best and the worst for you, if you don't mind sharing?

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Hoopman" <hoopmanjh@...> wrote:

        > I didn't start seriously collecting the BAF until the 1990's, but I already
        > had several volumes (Clark Ashton Smith and some of the Carter anthologies)
        > even before I realized there was such a thing as a Ballantine Adult Fantasy
        > series. I was able to acquire most of the series over the years just by
        > stopping in at Uncle Hugo's Science Fiction Bookstore and at Dreamhaven
        > Books, both in Minneapolis, MN, and scanning the shelves; I picked up the
        > last few stragglers online when this new-fangled Internet thing started to
        > take off.
        >
        > Back in the late 1990's I went through and read the entire series in BAF
        > publication order. (Not all at once -- I'd read, say, five BAF volumes,
        > then shift to something else for a while, then come back.) Some of the
        > books were, um, challenging -- I found The Shaving of Shagpat almost
        > unreadable, and there's always The Night Land to consider -- but it really
        > was an amazing collection.
        >
        > And after finishing the BAF, I sat down and read James Stoddard's The High
        > House and The False House, which I highly recommend to any Ballantine Adult
        > Fantasy fans (or indeed to anyone who just likes good book) -- Stoddard is
        > also a BAF fan and the books have lots of references, some subtle, some not
        > so much, to various characters and places from the series.
        >
        > Joe Hoopman
        >

        > > Just thought I'd try and start a new thread and see where it goes. As an
        > > old-timer and reader of adult fantasy, I must say that Lin Carter
        > > certainly kept me going through high school and university (and again in
        > > later life)with the fabulous and fun books with the unicorn on them that
        > > he edited. I first came across Ballantine fantasy paperbacks, as some of
        > > you may have, through their publication of The Hobbit, the Tolkien
        > > Trilogy, the ER Eddison series, and the Gormenghast books. Always
        > > thirsting for more, I stumbled across Morris' Well of the World's End when
        > > I was 17 and never looked back. I have since collected nearly the whole
        > > series, and read many but not all of the volumes. I am back in the saddle
        > > and hoping to complete my collection (both the unicorn series and the
        > > pre-series)and read and reread them all. I recently reread The Dream
        > > Quest of Unknown Kadath, and was completely blown away by the last short
        > > story by Lovecraft in that volume(who is in a very Dunsanyian
        > > mood)entitled "The Strange High House in the Mist". Truly mythical
        > > stuff!! It's fun going into used book shops and finding owners who know
        > > about the series and enjoy talking about it. Maybe a few of you out there
        > > would like to share your memories of discovering it. If you haven't yet
        > > discovered it, then you really don't know what you are missing!

      • Joe Hoopman
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 19, 2009
          Best would probably be the usual suspects: Clark Ashton Smith, James Branch
          Cabell, Lord Dunsany (although I must say I prefer his short stories to the
          novels), Lovecraft, Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees, and maybe the
          occasional William Morris or George MacDonald. And I have to say I really
          enjoyed the anthologies Lin Carter edited for the series -- Young Magicians
          and New Worlds for Old in particular. Worst would definitely be, as
          mentioned, The Shaving of Shagpat by George Meredith. I've also mentioned
          my feelings about the Night Land -- I really wish James Stoddard would
          finish his project/hobby of rewriting it in more readable prose. But I did
          find Hodgson's Boats of the Glen Carrig to be remarkably creepy and
          effective.

          Honorable mention would also go to Mervyn Peake and E.R. Eddison --
          technically, I think they were precursors to the series although they may
          have been retroactively folded into it.

          And whenever I'd get a new volume, even if I wasn't going to read it right
          then, I'd always sit down and at least read Lin Carter's introduction. I
          know that much of what he said was factually dubious at best, but I still
          enjoy his clear enthusiasm and love for the books he was presenting and for
          the genre as a whole.

          So if we were going to assemble a contemporary version of the BAF, what
          would it include? My suggestions would include (in no particular order):

          Stardust by Neil Gaiman
          Dragonfly by Frederic Durban
          Night's Master by Tanith Lee
          The Thread That Binds the Bones by Nina Kiriki Hoffman
          Un-Lun-Dun by China Mieville
          War for the Oaks by Emma Bull

          But that'd be just the tip of the iceberg (and subject to sudden and
          unexplained change in the future) . . .

          Joe Hoopman

          >3a. Re: Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series
          > Posted by: "pegasus48124" pegasus48124@... pegasus48124
          > Date: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:48 pm ((PDT))
          >
          >You say you've read the whole series (I'm getting there slowly,also reading
          many other things as I go). What were some of the best and the worst for
          you, if you don't >mind sharing?

          >--- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Hoopman" <hoopmanjh@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> I didn't start seriously collecting the BAF until the 1990's, but I
          already
          >> had several volumes (Clark Ashton Smith and some of the Carter
          anthologies)
          >> even before I realized there was such a thing as a Ballantine Adult
          Fantasy
          >> series. I was able to acquire most of the series over the years just by
          >> stopping in at Uncle Hugo's Science Fiction Bookstore and at Dreamhaven
          >> Books, both in Minneapolis, MN, and scanning the shelves; I picked up the
          >> last few stragglers online when this new-fangled Internet thing started
          >> take off.
          >>
          >> Back in the late 1990's I went through and read the entire series in BAF
          >> publication order. (Not all at once -- I'd read, say, five BAF volumes,
          >> then shift to something else for a while, then come back.) Some of the
          >> books were, um, challenging -- I found The Shaving of Shagpat almost
          >> unreadable, and there's always The Night Land to consider -- but it
          really
          >> was an amazing collection.
          >>
          >> And after finishing the BAF, I sat down and read James Stoddard's The
          High
          >> House and The False House, which I highly recommend to any Ballantine
          Adult
          >> Fantasy fans (or indeed to anyone who just likes good book) -- Stoddard
          is
          >> also a BAF fan and the books have lots of references, some subtle, some
          not
          >> so much, to various characters and places from the series.
          >>
          >> Joe Hoopman
        • David Lenander
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 20, 2009
            I think that I remember _Lilith_ by MacDonald as the book that I liked best, and which impacted me most.  But there was an anthology of 4 shorter pieces, including one of Richard Garnett's _Twilight of the Gods_ stories (or maybe two) which I really liked, the four Evangeline Walton *Mabinogion* books, the Joy Chant _Red Moon, Black Mountain_, and all of the Dunsany, especially _The King of Elfland's Daughter_, and at the time I was very taken with _Deryni Rising_ by Katherine Kurtz, though that didn't wear so well for me. I like Cabell better now than I did then, and for that matter, much of Dunsany was too ironic for my tastes at the time. Saunders Anne Laubenthal's _Excalibur_ was a big hit with a lot of people in the Society, but I didn't like it quite so well, though I liked it better than some of the others mentioned.  I can't remember if the Peter Beagle books eventually acquired the logo, but they may have been part of the series, and they'd be among my top choices, too.  The Gormenghast Books were added to the series later on, and I loved those, too. Oh, and I almost forgot Poul Anderson's _Broken Sword_ and _Hrolf Kraki's Saga_, which are wonderful.  The latter is something of a masterpiece.  The Bramah Kai-Lung books are fun, though didn't actually read them until long afterwards. _Vathek_ is another masterpiece, and Lin Carter did something that was obvious but no one else had done, he put in the short stories in the middle, the ones that were told in the course of the narrative, but which Beckford actually wrote later on, after publication of the original edition.  Another Lin Carter editorial change was to leave the poetry out of _Phantastes_.  His version is the only one I've read, I wonder sometimes what I would think of the poetry.  I didn't actually read _The Man Who Was Thursday_ until much later, in another edition, but it would've been a book I liked a lot if I had discovered it then. Oh, and David Lindsay's _A Voyage to Arcturus_.  I still don't know what I think of that book, but it had a big impact on me (as it clearly did on C.S. Lewis, not to mention Harold Bloom).  I did like _Lud-in-the-Mist_, but not to the degree that many people, especially other writers, seem to love it. And I have to confess that I still haven't managed to read _The Shaving of Shagpat_, despite starting it several times, and even though as someone who is supposedly interested in the Victorians, and particularly the Pre-Raphaelites, I ought to have done so long ago.  I mostly read Morris in the public library, but I may have first discovered his books in the Carter editions, at least the first one.  I never really liked Morris in my teens, but I read him dutifully, and could see how influential he was. Years later, after some essay in one of the MSA-nominated anthologies, I went back to the _Water of the Wondrous Isles_, which I had in the Carter-edited edition, and I liked it a lot. LIkewise, I finally came to appreciate Morris's "Defense of Guenivere," but that wasn't part of the Ballantine Series.

            On Sep 20, 2009, at 4:27 AM, Joe Hoopman wrote:
            1a.

            Re: Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series

            Posted by: "Joe Hoopman" hoopmanjh@...   hoopmanjh

            Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:25 pm (PDT

            Best would probably be the usual suspects: Clark Ashton Smith, James Branch

            Cabell, Lord Dunsany (although I must say I prefer his short stories to the
            novels), Lovecraft, Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees, and maybe the
            occasional William Morris or George MacDonald. And I have to say I really
            enjoyed the anthologies Lin Carter edited for the series -- Young Magicians
            and New Worlds for Old in particular.

            David Lenander
            2095 Hamline Ave. N.
            Roseville, MN 55113

            651-292-8887

          • pegasus48124
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 20, 2009
              Wikipedia places all the Tolkien books, the E.R. Eddison, Peake and two by Beagle and the David Lindsay in a kind of publisher's pre-series, follwed by the first actual series book "The Blue Star" by Pratt. Some of the pre-series obtained unicorns on their covers in reprints, including the Beagle books.
              My most recent reading in the Ballantine books include Bok's "Sorcerer's Ship", which I liked but found suitable for young readers and not too adult at all (it also contains an unbelievably good first person description of a sword fight on board a ship); a rereading of "Well at the World's End" by Morris, first read when I was 17. I read these slowly, a few chapters at a time while reading other books. I loved it then and I love it now, especially his ability to tell stories within stories and keep everything tied together--also the final book of Vol. 2 is amazing as the couple backtrack to Upmeads and find big changes in the world they left behind. Far from a simple recap, the story continues to progress as Ralph arrives to drive the bad guys out of his homeland just in time (shades of Tolkien when his newly returned and battle-hardened Hobbits return to save the Shire in Return of the King--this is the part of the LORs movies I wanted so badly to see, and it was not even included--instead we see four Hobbits indistinguishable from their comrades at a pub, seemingly unchanged by their adventures); Beagle's absolutely brilliant "A Fine and Private Place", especially the way he brings back at the very end the story about the seagull in Iowa told him by the Raven, which ties everything together so nicley (this book makes an odd companion novel to Iain Banks' "Crow Road"); and lastly I have just finished Pratt's "Blue Star", an odd book I didn't care for very much (it is very much an adult book). Presently I am rereading "King of Elfland's Daughter" by Dunsany.

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 20, 2009
                pegasus48124 <pegasus48124@...> wrote:

                >Wikipedia places all the Tolkien books, the E.R. Eddison,
                >Peake and two by Beagle and the David Lindsay in a kind
                >of publisher's pre-series, followed by the first actual series
                >book "The Blue Star" by Pratt.

                Here they are merely following series editor Lin Carter's classification, as listed in his book _Imaginary Worlds_, which contains a list of all the Adult Fantasy series books up to that date (June 1973). "I list them below, in sequence of publication, as a sort of preface to the Series proper: they are all books I would certainly have urged Ballantine to publish." He then goes on to explain how the series itself began and how he was brought in to edit it.
              • Joe Hoopman
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 21, 2009
                  Phantastes was another one I enjoyed. I actually first encountered it in a
                  book called A Treasury of Fantasy edited by Cary Wilkins. It included, in
                  addition to Phantastes, The Wood Beyond the World by William Morris, King of
                  the Golden River by John Ruskin, and stories by Lovecraft, Le Guin and
                  Howard, amongst others. Quite a nice collection, actually, with a really
                  dreadful cover.

                  On a semi-BAF-related note, University Press of Kentucky just (re?)
                  published a volume containing translations of Amadis of Gaul, books III and
                  IV. (Carter included at least one Amadis excerpt in one of the
                  anthologies.)

                  Hmmmm . . . Now I'm thinking it may be time to continue my next go-round
                  through the series -- I think Cabell's High Place would be next in line . .
                  .

                  Joe Hoopman

                  1a. Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series
                  Posted by: "David Lenander" d-lena@... davidlenander
                  Date: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:45 am ((PDT))

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 21, 2009
                    What a great question.

                    One I might add is *The History of Our World Beyond the Wave*
                    by R. E. Klein.  That has a lot of lingering imagery.  ---djb

> [...]

                    >> publication order. (Not all at once -- I'd read, say, five BAF volumes,
                    >> then shift to something else for a while, then come back.) Some of the
                    >> books were, um, challenging -- I found The Shaving of Shagpat almost
                    >> unreadable, and there's always The Night Land to consider -- but it
                    really
                    >> was an amazing collection.
                    >>
                    >> And after finishing the BAF, I sat down and read James Stoddard's The
                    High
                    >> House and The False House, which I highly recommend to any Ballantine
                    Adult
                    >> Fantasy fans (or indeed to anyone who just likes good book) -- Stoddard
                    is
                    >> also a BAF fan and the books have lots of references, some subtle, some
                    not
                    >> so much, to various characters and places from the series.

                  • Joe Hoopman
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 23, 2009
                      Coincidentally, I just read City at the End of Time a couple of months ago.
                      I think there was actually a clear (if not explicit) reference to Hodgson
                      and the Night Land at one point. I quite liked City, but I've always been a
                      fan of entropic romance . . .

                      Joe Hoopman

                      Re: FW: Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series
                      Posted by: "alexeik@..." alexeik@... celtbear49
                      Date: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:44 am ((PDT))

                      Greg Bear's _City at the End of Time_ (on the long list for the last
                      MFA) is rather obviously indebted to _The Night Land_.
                      Alexei