Re: Fairness for Harry Potter critics?

  • Margaret Dean
    Message 1 of 47 , Aug 9, 2000
      --- In mythsoc@egroups.com, WendellWag@a... wrote:

      > I don't recall teachers ever assigning current bestsellers when I
      > was in school. Yes, perhaps the teachers do think that the Harry
      > Potter books are that good, but I must say that I wonder about it.

      How good do they have to be? They're well written and fun to read,
      they have enough character nuances and other "meat" to spark
      interesting classroom discussions, and their popularity with the
      school-going age-group is gravy -- kids will =want= to read them.

      --Margaret Dean
      <margdean@...>
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 47 of 47 , Aug 15, 2000
        >I read that the publisher thought that Americans wouldn't buy a book,
        >especially for children, if it had "philosopher's" anything in the title.
        >Alas! Probably too close to the truth.

        So publishers may think, narrow-mindedly. I like to think that even
        Americans might find a phrase like "philosopher's stone" intriguing rather
        than off-putting. I do, and certainly children are attracted to such
        things, even if some adults are not. I first read about the Philosopher's
        Stone in Flash comics in the 1960s, when DC were throwing all sorts of
        education at its young audience without us realizing, and liked the sound
        of the words as much as the concept.

        Rowling's publishers, both of them I gather, of course also felt that no
        boy would read a book by a female author, hence "J.K." rather than
        "Joanne". It never bothered me as a young reader who wrote a book as long
        as it was good, and there can be few male Harry Potter fans now who don't
        know that Rowling is a woman.

        Wayne Hammond