Re: [mythsoc] Fairness for Harry Potter critics?

  • Diane Joy Baker
    Message 1 of 47 , Aug 9, 2000
      From: Sophie Masson <smasson@...>
      To: <mythsoc@egroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2000 2:59 AM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Fairness for Harry Potter critics?

      > A friend of mine, a teacher, writer and Christian--and great Harry Potter
      > fan!!-has written a very good article explaining to parents and teachers
      the
      > differences between the occult and fantasy, and how the HP books, with
      their
      > eternal battle of good against evil, etc, can actually easily be fitted
      into
      > a Christian framework, if that's what people want..Of course, we have to
      > remember that some fundamentalist literalists have accused CS Lewis of
      being
      > pagan! You can't win over everyone..
      > Sophie Masson
      > Author site:
      > http://members.xoom.com/sophiecastel/default.htm

      Is this your site, and is this where the article is located? I'd like to
      read it. ---djb.
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 47 of 47 , Aug 15, 2000
        >I read that the publisher thought that Americans wouldn't buy a book,
        >especially for children, if it had "philosopher's" anything in the title.
        >Alas! Probably too close to the truth.

        So publishers may think, narrow-mindedly. I like to think that even
        Americans might find a phrase like "philosopher's stone" intriguing rather
        than off-putting. I do, and certainly children are attracted to such
        things, even if some adults are not. I first read about the Philosopher's
        Stone in Flash comics in the 1960s, when DC were throwing all sorts of
        education at its young audience without us realizing, and liked the sound
        of the words as much as the concept.

        Rowling's publishers, both of them I gather, of course also felt that no
        boy would read a book by a female author, hence "J.K." rather than
        "Joanne". It never bothered me as a young reader who wrote a book as long
        as it was good, and there can be few male Harry Potter fans now who don't
        know that Rowling is a woman.

        Wayne Hammond