C. S. Lewis spotting

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10 8:37 PM
      Two brief references to CSL I spotted this past week which I think
      show he may be becoming almost as ubiquitous as Tolkien:

      (1) The Teaching Company's cd lecture series THE ART OF READING by
      Prof. Timothy Spurgin, catalogue description of Episode #1:

      1. Artful Reading and Everyday Reading
      "In this introductory lecture, discover the difference between
      everyday reading (reading to extract information) and artful reading
      (reading to take pleasure in language). Also, learn how noted author
      C. S. Lewis defined the two types of readers, and outline the methods
      you'll use over the next 23 lectures."

      (2) CURMUDGEON, collected by Jon Winokur. Topic of the month: "Boredom"
      --along with Oscar Wilde, Ambrose Bierce, Dr. Johnson, and many less
      notable persons, CSL is one of the curmudgeon/wits quoted:

      "It's so much easier to pray for a bore than to go and see one" -- C.
      S. Lewis

      [source: THE FUNNY TIMES, August 2009 issue, page 8]

      --JDR