Hobbit movie on again

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 8, 2009
      For those as care, it says here that the Tolkien estate lawsuit has been settled.

      <http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090908/ap_en_mo/us_tolkien_lawsuit>

      Two pieces of interest:

      1) This apparently means that the production of the movie(s) of The Hobbit(ses) may proceed.

      2) According to this, the money recovered from New Line's dragon's lair is going not to line CT's pocket(ses) but to fund a charitable trust.
    • Doug Kane
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 8, 2009
        I actually reported on this settlement last monday, David. I believe I was the first person to do so anywhere. (See http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2009/09/01/33357-tentative-settlement-reached-in-tolkien-v-new-line-it-appears-that-the-hobbit-movie-is-safe/)

        > 2) According to this, the money recovered from New Line's dragon's lair is going
        > not to line CT's pocket(ses) but to fund a charitable trust.

        As usual, what you read in the media is not completely accurate. There were actually two different trusts that were plaintiffs in the case and will receive part of the proceeds of the settlement. One is the Tolkien Trust, which is in fact a charitable trust. The other is called "The JRR Tolkien 1967 Discretionary Settlement" and is a private discretionary trust, the sole beneficiaries of which are the descendents of J.R.R. Tolkien. So some of the proceeds of the lawsuit will go directly into the pockets of Christopher and the other descendents. To which I say, good for them! They are certainly entitled to it.

        Doug

      • "Beregond, Anders Stenström"
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 13, 2009
          Reuter's text about the settlement is here:

          <http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS180663+08-Sep-2009+PRN20090908>

          The really funny (or not) part is the comment from
          Warner Bros.' President: "We deeply value the contributions
          of the Tolkien novels to the success of our films".

          Chivalrously,

          Beregond