Tolkien Society Events

  • John Davis
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2009
      Hi,

      Great, it sounds like people still want to hear about the Tolkien Society events. Speaking of which, details of not only UK TS events but also things taking place around the world can be found on the TS website - www.tolkiensociety.org/events.

      And, whilst I'm here, details of another event below...

      John

      The Truth about Faeries: from A Midsummer Night's Dream to Lord of the Rings

      An exhibition of artworks by old and new fairy and fantasy artists,
      including Brian Froud, Wendy Froud, Alan Alan Lee, and Patrick Woodroffe.

      On now and open until 13th September 2009

      Southampton City Art Gallery, Civic Centre, Southampton, Hampshire, SO14
      7LP, UK

      Brian Froud perhaps best known for his work on The Dark Crystal and
      Labyrinth is also justly famous for his series of illustrated fairy books.
      Alan Lee has illustrated various editions of works by JRRT and was awarded
      an Oscar for his work on Lord of the Rings.

      The exhibition explores different themes, looking at how artists have
      responded to Shakespeare's faeries and J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan, and
      consists of artworks borrowed from public and private collections to
      create an exciting exhibition that will appeal to a wide audience.

      Plus:

      Away with the Faeries

      Symposium Day, Saturday 5th September
      10.15am - 3.30pm, £26.00 (includes exhibition entrance)

      BOOK EARLY TO AVOID DISAPPOINTMENT Tel. 023 8083 2705

      A symposium in conjunction with the Imaginative Book Illustration Society
      to accompany the exhibition curated by Anne Anderson. The day will explore
      200 years of how Faeries have been imagined by a broad range of artists
      and illustrators. Speakers will include Antiques Roadshow's Rupert Maas
      and Peter Nahum, and Geoffrey Beare of IBIS.

      The Tolkien Society has no formal connection with Southampton City Art
      Gallery but is merely promoting the event as being of interest to Tolkien
      fans.

    • Jef Murray
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2009
        John,

        I for one definitely want to see Tolkien Society events
        posted here, John! There are fewer groups with a wider
        audience, and these events are important to many of us, even
        if we can't always cross the pond to get to them!

        Jef

        =================================================================== Mystical Realms - Exploring the boundaries between worlds.....
                 http://www.JefMurray.com
      • Vincent Ferré
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 16, 2009
          Good evening to all,

          I have a question about translations. Does anyone know in how many languages The History of Middle-earth has been translated ?
          I remember that the 12 volumes have been published in Spanish, 5 are in French, and a few in Italian, but I do not know where I could find an up-to-date information about other translations.

          thanks in advance !
          best wishes
          vincent

        • Wayne G. Hammond
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 16, 2009
            Vincent,

            I have a question about translations. Does anyone know in how many languages The History of Middle-earth has been translated ?
            I remember that the 12 volumes have been published in Spanish, 5 are in French, and a few in Italian, but I do not know where I could find an up-to-date information about other translations.

            We included a list of translations of Tolkien's works as an appendix to the Chronology volume of our J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide. This was current up to June 2006. More information appears as addenda at http://mysite.verizon.net/wghammond/addenda/chronology.html.

            Wayne and Christina
          • ferretolk
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 16, 2009
              Thank you very much, Wayne ! I should have said that I know this list, in your book - and that I was looking for an updated list. I'll check the addenda, thank you very much

              (and I keep asking the French publisher to send you all the French translations)

              best wishes
              vincent

              Vincent Ferré

              Université Paris XIII
              Département Littérature - directeur
              Littérature générale et comparée
              http://www.univ-paris13.fr/cenel/fiches/VincentFerre.htm

              __________ Information provenant d'ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version de la base des signatures de virus 4431 (20090916) __________

              Le message a été vérifié par ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

              http://www.eset.com