RE: [mythsoc] Tolkien Society Events

  • Doug Kane
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2009
      I'm definitely pleased to see what the Tolkien Society is up to. Please
      keep posting about their events!

      Doug

      _____

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2009
        Hi,

        Great, it sounds like people still want to hear about the Tolkien Society events. Speaking of which, details of not only UK TS events but also things taking place around the world can be found on the TS website - www.tolkiensociety.org/events.

        And, whilst I'm here, details of another event below...

        John

        The Truth about Faeries: from A Midsummer Night's Dream to Lord of the Rings

        An exhibition of artworks by old and new fairy and fantasy artists,
        including Brian Froud, Wendy Froud, Alan Alan Lee, and Patrick Woodroffe.

        On now and open until 13th September 2009

        Southampton City Art Gallery, Civic Centre, Southampton, Hampshire, SO14
        7LP, UK

        Brian Froud perhaps best known for his work on The Dark Crystal and
        Labyrinth is also justly famous for his series of illustrated fairy books.
        Alan Lee has illustrated various editions of works by JRRT and was awarded
        an Oscar for his work on Lord of the Rings.

        The exhibition explores different themes, looking at how artists have
        responded to Shakespeare's faeries and J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan, and
        consists of artworks borrowed from public and private collections to
        create an exciting exhibition that will appeal to a wide audience.

        Plus:

        Away with the Faeries

        Symposium Day, Saturday 5th September
        10.15am - 3.30pm, £26.00 (includes exhibition entrance)

        BOOK EARLY TO AVOID DISAPPOINTMENT Tel. 023 8083 2705

        A symposium in conjunction with the Imaginative Book Illustration Society
        to accompany the exhibition curated by Anne Anderson. The day will explore
        200 years of how Faeries have been imagined by a broad range of artists
        and illustrators. Speakers will include Antiques Roadshow's Rupert Maas
        and Peter Nahum, and Geoffrey Beare of IBIS.

        The Tolkien Society has no formal connection with Southampton City Art
        Gallery but is merely promoting the event as being of interest to Tolkien
        fans.

      • Jef Murray
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2009
          John,

          I for one definitely want to see Tolkien Society events
          posted here, John! There are fewer groups with a wider
          audience, and these events are important to many of us, even
          if we can't always cross the pond to get to them!

          Jef

          =================================================================== Mystical Realms - Exploring the boundaries between worlds.....
                   http://www.JefMurray.com
        • Vincent Ferré
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 16, 2009
            Good evening to all,

            I have a question about translations. Does anyone know in how many languages The History of Middle-earth has been translated ?
            I remember that the 12 volumes have been published in Spanish, 5 are in French, and a few in Italian, but I do not know where I could find an up-to-date information about other translations.

            thanks in advance !
            best wishes
            vincent

          • Wayne G. Hammond
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 16, 2009
              Vincent,

              I have a question about translations. Does anyone know in how many languages The History of Middle-earth has been translated ?
              I remember that the 12 volumes have been published in Spanish, 5 are in French, and a few in Italian, but I do not know where I could find an up-to-date information about other translations.

              We included a list of translations of Tolkien's works as an appendix to the Chronology volume of our J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide. This was current up to June 2006. More information appears as addenda at http://mysite.verizon.net/wghammond/addenda/chronology.html.

              Wayne and Christina
            • ferretolk
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 16, 2009
                Thank you very much, Wayne ! I should have said that I know this list, in your book - and that I was looking for an updated list. I'll check the addenda, thank you very much

                (and I keep asking the French publisher to send you all the French translations)

                best wishes
                vincent

                Vincent Ferré

                Université Paris XIII
                Département Littérature - directeur
                Littérature générale et comparée
                http://www.univ-paris13.fr/cenel/fiches/VincentFerre.htm

                __________ Information provenant d'ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version de la base des signatures de virus 4431 (20090916) __________

                Le message a été vérifié par ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

                http://www.eset.com