Tolkien Society Events

  • John Davis
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2009
      Hi,

      Every now and then the Tolkien Society asks me to post details of their events to this list. However, I'm aware that most of them are in the UK, and most of you on this list aren't. So do people find these posts a) interesting, b) easy enough to delete, or c) a right nuisance?

      Let me know, and if most people would rather I didn't post them, or perhaps only posted details of the major events, I'll do that.

      John

    • Grace Monk
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2009
        I vote a. I love knowing what the TS is doing. And b is always an
        available option.

        Grace Monk

        On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 4:26 AM, John Davis<john@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Every now and then the Tolkien Society asks me to post details of their
        > events to this list. However, I'm aware that most of them are in the UK, and
        > most of you on this list aren't. So do people find these posts a)
        > interesting, b) easy enough to delete, or c) a right nuisance?
        >
        > Let me know, and if most people would rather I didn't post them, or perhaps
        > only posted details of the major events, I'll do that.
        >
        > John

      • Doug Kane
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2009
          I'm definitely pleased to see what the Tolkien Society is up to. Please
          keep posting about their events!

          Doug

          _____

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2009
            Hi,

            Great, it sounds like people still want to hear about the Tolkien Society events. Speaking of which, details of not only UK TS events but also things taking place around the world can be found on the TS website - www.tolkiensociety.org/events.

            And, whilst I'm here, details of another event below...

            John

            The Truth about Faeries: from A Midsummer Night's Dream to Lord of the Rings

            An exhibition of artworks by old and new fairy and fantasy artists,
            including Brian Froud, Wendy Froud, Alan Alan Lee, and Patrick Woodroffe.

            On now and open until 13th September 2009

            Southampton City Art Gallery, Civic Centre, Southampton, Hampshire, SO14
            7LP, UK

            Brian Froud perhaps best known for his work on The Dark Crystal and
            Labyrinth is also justly famous for his series of illustrated fairy books.
            Alan Lee has illustrated various editions of works by JRRT and was awarded
            an Oscar for his work on Lord of the Rings.

            The exhibition explores different themes, looking at how artists have
            responded to Shakespeare's faeries and J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan, and
            consists of artworks borrowed from public and private collections to
            create an exciting exhibition that will appeal to a wide audience.

            Plus:

            Away with the Faeries

            Symposium Day, Saturday 5th September
            10.15am - 3.30pm, £26.00 (includes exhibition entrance)

            BOOK EARLY TO AVOID DISAPPOINTMENT Tel. 023 8083 2705

            A symposium in conjunction with the Imaginative Book Illustration Society
            to accompany the exhibition curated by Anne Anderson. The day will explore
            200 years of how Faeries have been imagined by a broad range of artists
            and illustrators. Speakers will include Antiques Roadshow's Rupert Maas
            and Peter Nahum, and Geoffrey Beare of IBIS.

            The Tolkien Society has no formal connection with Southampton City Art
            Gallery but is merely promoting the event as being of interest to Tolkien
            fans.

          • Jef Murray
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 1, 2009
              John,

              I for one definitely want to see Tolkien Society events
              posted here, John! There are fewer groups with a wider
              audience, and these events are important to many of us, even
              if we can't always cross the pond to get to them!

              Jef

              =================================================================== Mystical Realms - Exploring the boundaries between worlds.....
                       http://www.JefMurray.com
            • Vincent Ferré
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 16, 2009
                Good evening to all,

                I have a question about translations. Does anyone know in how many languages The History of Middle-earth has been translated ?
                I remember that the 12 volumes have been published in Spanish, 5 are in French, and a few in Italian, but I do not know where I could find an up-to-date information about other translations.

                thanks in advance !
                best wishes
                vincent

              • Wayne G. Hammond
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 16, 2009
                  Vincent,

                  I have a question about translations. Does anyone know in how many languages The History of Middle-earth has been translated ?
                  I remember that the 12 volumes have been published in Spanish, 5 are in French, and a few in Italian, but I do not know where I could find an up-to-date information about other translations.

                  We included a list of translations of Tolkien's works as an appendix to the Chronology volume of our J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide. This was current up to June 2006. More information appears as addenda at http://mysite.verizon.net/wghammond/addenda/chronology.html.

                  Wayne and Christina
                • ferretolk
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 16, 2009
                    Thank you very much, Wayne ! I should have said that I know this list, in your book - and that I was looking for an updated list. I'll check the addenda, thank you very much

                    (and I keep asking the French publisher to send you all the French translations)

                    best wishes
                    vincent

                    Vincent Ferré

                    Université Paris XIII
                    Département Littérature - directeur
                    Littérature générale et comparée
                    http://www.univ-paris13.fr/cenel/fiches/VincentFerre.htm

                    __________ Information provenant d'ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version de la base des signatures de virus 4431 (20090916) __________

                    Le message a été vérifié par ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

                    http://www.eset.com