re: [mythsoc] Reading translations for practice.

  • Marie-Pierre BODEZ
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 25, 2009
      Try LOTR in French, it's great (I'm afraid there is no Latin translation) !
      My dream is to be able to read LOTR in Icelandic ! Tolkien has said that it was the best language to translate it, hasn't he ?
      one day... perhaps... but it's so hard !
      Marie

      > Message du 25/08/09 19:52
      > De : scribbler@...
      > A : mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      > Copie à :
      > Objet : [mythsoc] Reading translations for practice.
      >
      > > All this talk of reading Tolkien in other languages to practice the
      > language is getting at me! I may give it a try, even though my French is
      > very, very rusty. Maybe I'll do THE HOBBIT instead of the whole of LOTR.
      >
      > Hmmm.... anyone know if someone has translated THE HOBBIT into Latin? :D
      >
      > >> I have a friend who likes to read LOTR in French translation:
      > >> keeps her French in practice & she processes the story differently...
      > >
      > > I do the same with my Italian copies, and I've read pieces of the French
      > > translations too. It's very good practice, and you do notice different
      > > things. I have a friend who likes to read the French while his high school
      > > students are doing busy-work. One of his students once asked, "Wow, so you
      > > know French well enough to read The Lord of the Rings in it?!" To which my
      > > friend replied, "Not really; it's the reverse: I know The Lord of the
      > > Rings well enough to manage with the French!"
      > >
      > > Jase

    • David Emerson
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 25, 2009
        >From: scribbler@...
        >
        >Hmmm.... anyone know if someone has translated THE HOBBIT into Latin? :D

        Don't know about that, but you could start out with WINNIE ILLE PU, which I read in high school for extra credit in 4th-year Latin.

        emerdavid

        PeoplePC Online
        A better way to Internet
        http://www.peoplepc.com
      • scribbler@scribblerworks.us
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 25, 2009
          Oooo! Winnie! I did not know.

          I do have THE CAT IN THE HAT in Latin, though. A friend gave it to me for
          Christmas. She understands my Geekitude.

        • Croft, Janet B.
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 26, 2009
            And then there's Alicia in Terra Mirabilis...

            Janet Brennan Croft

          • alexeik@aol.com
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 26, 2009
              > I have a friend who likes to read LOTR in French translation:
              > keeps her French in practice & she processes the story differently...

              I do the same with my Italian copies, and I've read pieces of the
              French translations too. It's very good practice, and you do notice
              different things. I have a friend who likes to read the French while
              his high school students are doing busy-work. One of his students once
              asked, "Wow, so you know French well enough to read The Lord of the
              Rings in it?!" To which my friend replied, "Not really; it's the
              reverse: I know The Lord of the Rings well enough to manage with the
              French!"
              <<

              I've done that with the Bible for years -- given that not only do I
              know the content pretty well, but it's the one book that's been
              translated in many of the languages I study.
              Alexei