Reading translations for practice.

  • scribbler@scribblerworks.us
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 25, 2009
      All this talk of reading Tolkien in other languages to practice the
      language is getting at me! I may give it a try, even though my French is
      very, very rusty. Maybe I'll do THE HOBBIT instead of the whole of LOTR.

      Hmmm.... anyone know if someone has translated THE HOBBIT into Latin? :D

      >> I have a friend who likes to read LOTR in French translation:
      >> keeps her French in practice & she processes the story differently...
      >
      > I do the same with my Italian copies, and I've read pieces of the French
      > translations too. It's very good practice, and you do notice different
      > things. I have a friend who likes to read the French while his high school
      > students are doing busy-work. One of his students once asked, "Wow, so you
      > know French well enough to read The Lord of the Rings in it?!" To which my
      > friend replied, "Not really; it's the reverse: I know The Lord of the
      > Rings well enough to manage with the French!"
      >
      > Jase

    • Marie-Pierre BODEZ
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 25, 2009
        Try LOTR in French, it's great (I'm afraid there is no Latin translation) !
        My dream is to be able to read LOTR in Icelandic ! Tolkien has said that it was the best language to translate it, hasn't he ?
        one day... perhaps... but it's so hard !
        Marie

        > Message du 25/08/09 19:52
        > De : scribbler@...
        > A : mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
        > Copie à :
        > Objet : [mythsoc] Reading translations for practice.
        >
        > > All this talk of reading Tolkien in other languages to practice the
        > language is getting at me! I may give it a try, even though my French is
        > very, very rusty. Maybe I'll do THE HOBBIT instead of the whole of LOTR.
        >
        > Hmmm.... anyone know if someone has translated THE HOBBIT into Latin? :D
        >
        > >> I have a friend who likes to read LOTR in French translation:
        > >> keeps her French in practice & she processes the story differently...
        > >
        > > I do the same with my Italian copies, and I've read pieces of the French
        > > translations too. It's very good practice, and you do notice different
        > > things. I have a friend who likes to read the French while his high school
        > > students are doing busy-work. One of his students once asked, "Wow, so you
        > > know French well enough to read The Lord of the Rings in it?!" To which my
        > > friend replied, "Not really; it's the reverse: I know The Lord of the
        > > Rings well enough to manage with the French!"
        > >
        > > Jase

      • David Emerson
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 25, 2009
          >Hmmm.... anyone know if someone has translated THE HOBBIT into Latin? :D

          Don't know about that, but you could start out with WINNIE ILLE PU, which I read in high school for extra credit in 4th-year Latin.

          emerdavid

          PeoplePC Online
          A better way to Internet
          http://www.peoplepc.com
        • scribbler@scribblerworks.us
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 25, 2009
            Oooo! Winnie! I did not know.

            I do have THE CAT IN THE HAT in Latin, though. A friend gave it to me for
            Christmas. She understands my Geekitude.

          • Croft, Janet B.
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 26, 2009
              And then there's Alicia in Terra Mirabilis...

              Janet Brennan Croft

            • alexeik@aol.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 26, 2009
                > I have a friend who likes to read LOTR in French translation:
                > keeps her French in practice & she processes the story differently...

                I do the same with my Italian copies, and I've read pieces of the
                French translations too. It's very good practice, and you do notice
                different things. I have a friend who likes to read the French while
                his high school students are doing busy-work. One of his students once
                asked, "Wow, so you know French well enough to read The Lord of the
                Rings in it?!" To which my friend replied, "Not really; it's the
                reverse: I know The Lord of the Rings well enough to manage with the
                French!"
                <<

                I've done that with the Bible for years -- given that not only do I
                know the content pretty well, but it's the one book that's been
                translated in many of the languages I study.
                Alexei