Re: [mythsoc] Fairness for Harry Potter critics?

    Message 1 of 47 , Aug 8 8:43 PM
      In a message dated 8/8/00 11:36:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      tedsherman@... writes:

      > The assumption is that they are assigned because it is trendy
      > to do so, but the assumption is just that--assumed, not proven.

      The article by Haynes seems to be saying that Tolkien and Lewis are not being
      assigned these days. (Is that really true?) I don't recall teachers ever
      assigning current bestsellers when I was in school. Yes, perhaps the
      teachers do think that the Harry Potter books are that good, but I must say
      that I wonder about it.

      Wendell Wagner
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 47 of 47 , Aug 15 7:38 PM
        >I read that the publisher thought that Americans wouldn't buy a book,
        >especially for children, if it had "philosopher's" anything in the title.
        >Alas! Probably too close to the truth.

        So publishers may think, narrow-mindedly. I like to think that even
        Americans might find a phrase like "philosopher's stone" intriguing rather
        than off-putting. I do, and certainly children are attracted to such
        things, even if some adults are not. I first read about the Philosopher's
        Stone in Flash comics in the 1960s, when DC were throwing all sorts of
        education at its young audience without us realizing, and liked the sound
        of the words as much as the concept.

        Rowling's publishers, both of them I gather, of course also felt that no
        boy would read a book by a female author, hence "J.K." rather than
        "Joanne". It never bothered me as a young reader who wrote a book as long
        as it was good, and there can be few male Harry Potter fans now who don't
        know that Rowling is a woman.

        Wayne Hammond