Re: [mythsoc] Attention seeking vocabularies

  • Larry Swain
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 16, 2009
      One of the things I've always liked about Donaldson is his
      vocabulary....he's not a philogist, nor were his parents, but he has the
      philologists' love of the *word* for its own sake, especially in his
      early work.

      Larry Swain

      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 17, 2009
        >... Pat Wynne's cartoon about [Stephen] Donaldson (I still
        >have the original framed on my wall) - about Donaldson's (pregnant) mother
        >being frightened by a "thesaurus" (drawn as a dragon-like critter). Heh.
        >Now THERE was a vocabulary that was "showing off"!

        As a counter-example, I suggest Gene Wolfe's "Shadow of the Torturer" et al., where obscure vocabulary is used for a specific effect, i.e. creating the sense of a baroque world, millennia in the future yet somehow archaic at the same time.

        emerdavid

        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 17, 2009
          > As a counter-example, I suggest Gene Wolfe's "Shadow of the Torturer"
          > et al., where obscure vocabulary is used for a specific effect, i.e. creating
          > the sense of a baroque world, millennia in the future yet somehow archaic
          > at the same time.

          For a similar effect, let me recommend Michael Chabon's "Gentlemen of the Road: A Tale of Adventure".

        • Marie-Pierre BODEZ
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 17, 2009
            I'm suprised that "glad" should be considered difficult by a person whose mother-tongue is not English. I think I learned that word during the first year of my English lessons.
            I haven't found the reading of the book in the original language difficult, except some descriptions (names of plants etc.). But Lost Tales was quite a different thing...
            Marie (whose mother-tongue is French)

            > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, John D Rateliff > wrote:
            > >
            > > Thanks, Sue. I'm glad you like the piece. The more I study Tolkien,
            > > the more convinced I become that small details matter, and the more
            > > impressed I am by the sheer amount of work involved in his creating
            > > and perfecting his books (a characteristic I think his son Christopher
            > > shares).
            > >
            > > As for the matter of language difficulty in Tolkien, I recommend Brian
            > > Rosebury's TOLKIEN: A CRITICAL ASSESSMENT [1992], which does a good
            > > job of refuting the claims that Tolkien wrote mostly in archaic
            > > language and syntax. In fact, as Rosebury points out, most of THE LORD
            > > OF THE RINGS is in good, straightforward modern English, with
            > > heightened vocabulary or sentence structures generally reserved for
            > > emphasis at particular points. I like your complementary point that
            > > often moments of great dramatic tension are presented very simply;
            > > I'll be on the look-out for this next time I re-read LotR.
            > >
            > > But of course it's true that Tolkien has a large vocabulary, and there
            > > will always be some readers for whom this will be a problem.
            > >
            > > --John R.
            > >

            > > On Aug 13, 2009, at 3:18 AM, Sue Bridgwater wrote:
            > > > Belated but nonetheless sincere congratulations to Edith on her
            > > > nomination - rooting for you!
            > > >
            > > > Congrats also to John D. Rateliff for his article in TS6, 2009 - A
            > > > kind of Elvish craft; Tolkien as literary craftsman. It is so good
            > > > to see this excellent opening up of the matter of the how of
            > > > writing. Tolkien was a literary craftsman par excellence.
            > > > One thing that often comes up on the Plaza when new (very) young
            > > > folk join, is that having seen the films, they try to read LOTR and,
            > > > particularly if they have not a great habit of reading, they find
            > > > the language difficult. I do understand this, and we older hands do
            > > > our best to nurture and encourage. One thread I started in this
            > > > connection was to encourage people to seek out passages in which
            > > > Tolkien had deliberately woven the text out of simple vocabulary,
            > > > and it turned out to be often at moments of deepest significance,
            > > > e.g on the slopes of Mt. Doom: I am glad that you are with me, here
            > > > at the end of all things, Sam. An entire sentence of monosyllables,
            > > > at just the right time. The mood and cadence are perfect. Only one
            > > > person, whose mother-tongue was not English, said that glad was an
            > > > unfamiliar word to him. Otherwise all agreed that you could not
            > > > call this difficult!

          • David Emerson
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 17, 2009
              >I haven't found the reading of the book in the original language difficult, except some descriptions (names of plants etc.). But Lost Tales was quite a different thing...
              >Marie (whose mother-tongue is French)

              The Lost Tales can be difficult even for those of us whose mother tongue is English!

              emerdavid

              PeoplePC Online
              A better way to Internet
              http://www.peoplepc.com
            • Diane Joy Baker
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 20, 2009
                Ohh, yes. Wolfe is using it just for that effect. It's one of the things that attracted me to the series. Aside from Severian's character. ---djb
                >... Pat Wynne's cartoon about [Stephen] Donaldson (I still
                >have the original framed on my wall) - about Donaldson's (pregnant) mother
                >being frightened by a "thesaurus" (drawn as a dragon-like critter). Heh.
                >Now THERE was a vocabulary that was "showing off"!

                As a counter-example, I suggest Gene Wolfe's "Shadow of the Torturer" et al., where obscure vocabulary is used for a specific effect, i.e. creating the sense of a baroque world, millennia in the future yet somehow archaic at the same time.

                emerdavid

              • lynnmaudlin
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 25, 2009
                  I always like it when I come across new words, ESPECIALLY when someone is speaking - sometimes it turns out to be a word I've been mispronouncing "in my head" for years--!!! I'm like you re: figuring out from context; I assume that's the common approach to unknown words but I don't really know... anyone? anyone? bueller?

                  -- Lynn --

                  > On Aug 15, 2009, at 5:49 PM, Alana wrote:
                  > >> But of course it's true that Tolkien has a large vocabulary, and
                  > >> there
                  > >> will always be some readers for whom this will be a problem.
                  > >
                  > > There will also always be some young readers for whom LotR becomes
                  > > how they expand their vocabulary. :)
                  > >
                  > > -Alana
                  >
                  > Absolutely! But it's not just young readers I'm thinking about. I
                  > don't mind at all coming across an unfamiliar word in something I'm
                  > reading; I just make the best guess I can as to its meaning from the
                  > context and make a mental note to look it up sometime. If the next
                  > time I come across it my theoretical meaning still makes sense, I tend
                  > to think I've more or less got it right.* That's how I've learned most
                  > of the words I know post 1st & 2nd grade reading classes.
                  >
                  > On the other hand, some readers just resent what they see as writers
                  > "showing off". I remember Darrell Schweitzer once wrote a piece
                  > attacking Clark Ashton Smith more or less on the basis that CAS knew
                  > more words that Schweitzer did. Like hobbits who want their books to
                  > be filled with things they already know, these readers (who can be any
                  > age) don't like writing that calls attention to itself, and that
                  > includes unfamiliar words.
                  >
                  > As for Tolkien and young readers, I remember my high school librarian
                  > telling me that readers of THE LORD OF THE RINGS tended to fall into
                  > two categories: those who read a lot, and those who hardly read at
                  > all, and that a surprising number of the latter got hooked on the book.
                  >
                  > Rowling is another example of an author who demands more of her
                  > readers than the average reader is supposed to be willing to give.
                  >
                  > --John R.
                  >

                  > *The one time I got it wrong and didn't realize it for years was the
                  > word "tacit", since the meaning I'd guessed at was plausibly close to
                  > its actual literal meaning.

                • lynnmaudlin
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 25, 2009
                    I enjoyed meeting him at Mythcon 14 but, man! he swung that vocabulary like a sledgehammer--!

                    -- Lynn --

                    --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swain" <theswain@...> wrote:

                    > One of the things I've always liked about Donaldson is his
                    > vocabulary....he's not a philogist, nor were his parents, but he has the
                    > philologists' love of the *word* for its own sake, especially in his
                    > early work.
                    >
                    > Larry Swain

                  • lynnmaudlin
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 25, 2009
                      There was a period of time where affected names were the rage, mostly in SF as I recall: lots of punctuation, no phonic sense... made me nuts, I'd take to thinking of characters as "double appostrophe" or "P hyphen" or other uneuphonious mnemonics...

                      -- Lynn --

                      > >... Pat Wynne's cartoon about [Stephen] Donaldson (I still
                      > >have the original framed on my wall) - about Donaldson's (pregnant) mother
                      > >being frightened by a "thesaurus" (drawn as a dragon-like critter). Heh.
                      > >Now THERE was a vocabulary that was "showing off"!
                      >
                      > As a counter-example, I suggest Gene Wolfe's "Shadow of the Torturer" et al., where obscure vocabulary is used for a specific effect, i.e. creating the sense of a baroque world, millennia in the future yet somehow archaic at the same time.
                      >
                      > emerdavid

                      > PeoplePC Online
                      > A better way to Internet
                      > http://www.peoplepc.com

                    • lynnmaudlin
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 25, 2009
                        I have a friend who likes to read LOTR in French translation: keeps her French in practice & she processes the story differently... I've never tried that but I wonder if my reading skill is good enough - there are so many different verb forms in French! *whimper*

                        -- Lynn --

                        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Marie-Pierre BODEZ <m.bodez@...> wrote:

                        > I'm suprised that "glad" should be considered difficult by a person whose mother-tongue is not English. I think I learned that word during the first year of my English lessons.
                        > I haven't found the reading of the book in the original language difficult, except some descriptions (names of plants etc.). But Lost Tales was quite a different thing...
                        > Marie (whose mother-tongue is French)
                        >

                        > > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, John D Rateliff > wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Thanks, Sue. I'm glad you like the piece. The more I study Tolkien,
                        > > > the more convinced I become that small details matter, and the more
                        > > > impressed I am by the sheer amount of work involved in his creating
                        > > > and perfecting his books (a characteristic I think his son Christopher
                        > > > shares).
                        > > >
                        > > > As for the matter of language difficulty in Tolkien, I recommend Brian
                        > > > Rosebury's TOLKIEN: A CRITICAL ASSESSMENT [1992], which does a good
                        > > > job of refuting the claims that Tolkien wrote mostly in archaic
                        > > > language and syntax. In fact, as Rosebury points out, most of THE LORD
                        > > > OF THE RINGS is in good, straightforward modern English, with
                        > > > heightened vocabulary or sentence structures generally reserved for
                        > > > emphasis at particular points. I like your complementary point that
                        > > > often moments of great dramatic tension are presented very simply;
                        > > > I'll be on the look-out for this next time I re-read LotR.
                        > > >
                        > > > But of course it's true that Tolkien has a large vocabulary, and there
                        > > > will always be some readers for whom this will be a problem.
                        > > >
                        > > > --John R.

                      • Jason Fisher
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 25, 2009
                          > I have a friend who likes to read LOTR in French translation:
                          > keeps her French in practice & she processes the story differently...

                          I do the same with my Italian copies, and I've read pieces of the French translations too. It's very good practice, and you do notice different things. I have a friend who likes to read the French while his high school students are doing busy-work. One of his students once asked, "Wow, so you know French well enough to read The Lord of the Rings in it?!" To which my friend replied, "Not really; it's the reverse: I know The Lord of the Rings well enough to manage with the French!"

                          Jase
                        • scribbler@scribblerworks.us
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 25, 2009
                            All this talk of reading Tolkien in other languages to practice the
                            language is getting at me! I may give it a try, even though my French is
                            very, very rusty. Maybe I'll do THE HOBBIT instead of the whole of LOTR.

                            Hmmm.... anyone know if someone has translated THE HOBBIT into Latin? :D

                            >> I have a friend who likes to read LOTR in French translation:
                            >> keeps her French in practice & she processes the story differently...
                            >
                            > I do the same with my Italian copies, and I've read pieces of the French
                            > translations too. It's very good practice, and you do notice different
                            > things. I have a friend who likes to read the French while his high school
                            > students are doing busy-work. One of his students once asked, "Wow, so you
                            > know French well enough to read The Lord of the Rings in it?!" To which my
                            > friend replied, "Not really; it's the reverse: I know The Lord of the
                            > Rings well enough to manage with the French!"
                            >
                            > Jase

                          • Marie-Pierre BODEZ
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 25, 2009
                              Try LOTR in French, it's great (I'm afraid there is no Latin translation) !
                              My dream is to be able to read LOTR in Icelandic ! Tolkien has said that it was the best language to translate it, hasn't he ?
                              one day... perhaps... but it's so hard !
                              Marie

                              > Message du 25/08/09 19:52
                              > De : scribbler@...
                              > A : mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
                              > Copie à :
                              > Objet : [mythsoc] Reading translations for practice.
                              >
                              > > All this talk of reading Tolkien in other languages to practice the
                              > language is getting at me! I may give it a try, even though my French is
                              > very, very rusty. Maybe I'll do THE HOBBIT instead of the whole of LOTR.
                              >
                              > Hmmm.... anyone know if someone has translated THE HOBBIT into Latin? :D
                              >
                              > >> I have a friend who likes to read LOTR in French translation:
                              > >> keeps her French in practice & she processes the story differently...
                              > >
                              > > I do the same with my Italian copies, and I've read pieces of the French
                              > > translations too. It's very good practice, and you do notice different
                              > > things. I have a friend who likes to read the French while his high school
                              > > students are doing busy-work. One of his students once asked, "Wow, so you
                              > > know French well enough to read The Lord of the Rings in it?!" To which my
                              > > friend replied, "Not really; it's the reverse: I know The Lord of the
                              > > Rings well enough to manage with the French!"
                              > >
                              > > Jase

                            • David Emerson
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 25, 2009
                                >From: scribbler@...
                                >
                                >Hmmm.... anyone know if someone has translated THE HOBBIT into Latin? :D

                                Don't know about that, but you could start out with WINNIE ILLE PU, which I read in high school for extra credit in 4th-year Latin.

                                emerdavid

                                PeoplePC Online
                                A better way to Internet
                                http://www.peoplepc.com
                              • scribbler@scribblerworks.us
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 25, 2009
                                  Oooo! Winnie! I did not know.

                                  I do have THE CAT IN THE HAT in Latin, though. A friend gave it to me for
                                  Christmas. She understands my Geekitude.

                                • Croft, Janet B.
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 26, 2009
                                    And then there's Alicia in Terra Mirabilis...

                                    Janet Brennan Croft

                                  • alexeik@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 26, 2009
                                      > I have a friend who likes to read LOTR in French translation:
                                      > keeps her French in practice & she processes the story differently...

                                      I do the same with my Italian copies, and I've read pieces of the
                                      French translations too. It's very good practice, and you do notice
                                      different things. I have a friend who likes to read the French while
                                      his high school students are doing busy-work. One of his students once
                                      asked, "Wow, so you know French well enough to read The Lord of the
                                      Rings in it?!" To which my friend replied, "Not really; it's the
                                      reverse: I know The Lord of the Rings well enough to manage with the
                                      French!"
                                      <<

                                      I've done that with the Bible for years -- given that not only do I
                                      know the content pretty well, but it's the one book that's been
                                      translated in many of the languages I study.
                                      Alexei