Mythcon in Dallas

  • Joe R. Christopher
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 12, 2009
      I don't know who is running the next Mythcon, but I thought I might
      mention a writer of fantasy novels in Fort Worth--of the type of Gothic
      romances that were discussed here a month or so back. Rosanna Conrad,
      currently writing under the name of Rachel Caine, was interviewed in
      the _Fort Worth Star*Telegram_ on 11 July of this year. She's got
      several series going, (1) "Weather Warden" fantasy thrillers, with its
      eighth volume just out and to be completed in nine volumes; (2) a
      "Morganville" vampire series, laid in Texas, aimed at young adults,
      with its seveth book due out in November; and (3) two books in a
      "Outcast Season," to be a four-volume set, a spin-off of the "Weather
      Warden" series. She mentions going to conventions in her interview, so
      she might be interested in showing up for a day for a panel and a
      reading. I haven't read any of her books, but the write-up says she has
      made the New York Times best-seller list a couple of times. I don't
      know about pay vs. free appearances, and I don't know that her books
      would be appealing to Mythcon goers. The people running the convention
      can decide about such things. I was just surprised to learn about a
      local fantasy writer--probably just my ignorance.

      --Joe
    • Alana Joli Abbott
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 12, 2009
        I read a couple of her YA novels for review at FlamesRising.com and found
        them to be pretty typical of a lot of the teen vampire novels that are
        coming out right now -- great for the target audience who can't get enough
        of the vampire scene, but not particularly groundbreaking. Of course, the
        story may have gotten a lot deeper since the last episode I read!
        My two are here:
        http://www.flamesrising.com/dead-girls-dance-review/
        <http://www.flamesrising.com/dead-girls-dance-review/>
        http://www.flamesrising.com/midnight-alley-review/

        <http://www.flamesrising.com/midnight-alley-review/>Other reviewers
        discussed Caine's other novels here:
        http://www.flamesrising.com/feast-of-fools-review/
        <http://www.flamesrising.com/feast-of-fools-review/>
        http://www.flamesrising.com/ill-wind-review/

        <http://www.flamesrising.com/ill-wind-review/>I'm definitely interested in
        picking up her Weather Warden series, as that premise sounded far more up my
        alley, and I'd love to see what she does with it.

        Just two cents from someone who's read a few of her titles!

        -Alana

        --
        Alana Joli Abbott, Freelance Writer and Editor (
        http://www.virgilandbeatrice.com)
      • Jason Fisher
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 13, 2009
          Thank you, Joe, for letting us know about this author; and thank you, Alana, for giving us some more detail. I am co-chairing next year's Mythcon with Randy Hoyt (Society webmaster), so you'll be hearing a lot more from us as the steam builds. We are, of course, always interested in learning about new writers, and we'll look into Ms. Conrad (nom de plume, Caine). Anyone else who might know anything about her work, please don't hesitate to chime in. :)

          Best,
          Jason