Re: [mythsoc] Is there an adjectival form of "Logres?"

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2009
      I doubt there is an attested form, but my "vote" would be either for
      "Logressian" or (noting that the word derives from Welsh Lloegr)
      "Logrian".

      Carl

      On Aug 5, 2009, at 10:17 PM, Edith Crowe wrote:

      > Just got this query and nothing comes to mind...any of the
      > linguistically
      > gifted among you have and answer (or a good guess)?
      >
      > --
      > Edith Crowe, Corresponding Secretary
      > The Mythopoeic Society
      > http://www.mythsoc.org | correspondence@...

    • Diego Seguí
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 6, 2009
        Indeed, 'Logrian' is well attested; see e.g. Reginald Heber's "Morte D'Arthur" (early 19th century?):

        Who then was joyful but the Logrian king?
        Not that his hand a five-fold sceptre bore;
        Not that the Scandian raven's robber wing
        Stoop'd to his dragon banner, and the shore
        Of peopled Gallia, and where ocean hoar
        Girds with his silver ring the island green
        Of saints and heroes; not that paynim gore
        Clung to his blade, and, first in danger seen
        In many a forward fight his golden shield had been.

        Diego Seguí

        I doubt there is an attested form, but my "vote" would be either for
        "Logressian" or (noting that the word derives from Welsh Lloegr)
        "Logrian".

        Carl

        On Aug 5, 2009, at 10:17 PM, Edith Crowe wrote:

        > Just got this query and nothing comes to mind...any of the
        > linguistically
        > gifted among you have and answer (or a good guess)?
        >
        > --
        > Edith Crowe, Corresponding Secretary
        > The Mythopoeic Society
        > http://www.mythsoc org | correspondence@ mythsoc.org

      • David Emerson
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 6, 2009
          >Indeed, 'Logrian' is well attested; see e.g. Reginald Heber's "Morte D'Arthur" (early 19th century?):
          >
          >>I doubt there is an attested form, but my "vote" would be either for
          >>"Logressian" or (noting that the word derives from Welsh Lloegr)
          >>"Logrian".

          So I take it that "Logrelicious" is out of the question?

          :->

          emerdavid

          PeoplePC Online
          A better way to Internet
          http://www.peoplepc.com
        • Lynn Maudlin
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 7, 2009
            Not for you, David! you can work it into Dylan TolkRock maybe... and her kisses were Logrelicious...

            Well perhaps not!!! {grin}

            -- Lynn --

          • alexeik@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 7, 2009
              I doubt there is an attested form, but my "vote" would be either for
              "Logressian" or (noting that the word derives from Welsh Lloegr)
              "Logrian".

              Carl
              <<

              I would think "Logrian" -- at any rate, it's the form I just used
              myself in the book I'm writing. :-)
              Alexei