Narnia audioplays

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4 8:50 PM
      Just wanted to pass along the word that today in the remainders
      section of the local Borders I saw a stack of what looked like a
      record album double-set, for those of you old enough to remember such
      things, labelled "The Chronicles of Narnia". Although the cover makes
      it look like a PRINCE CASPIAN movie tie-in product, on closer
      inspection this turns out to be audio plays of all seven of the
      CHRONICLES OF NARNIA on 19 cds. They were apparently recorded back in
      2003, but now you can pick them up for $9.99 -- 'while supplies last',
      as the saying goes. I admit I'm curious after reading in the cast
      list that Douglas Gresham appears on them as "The Host", but wound up
      giving them a pass. If you're a big fan of the Narnia stories,
      however, you might want to check them out. They were produced by Focus
      on the Family, if that influences your decision one way or the other.

      --John R.
    • Hugh Davis
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4 9:00 PM
        This sounds like the Focus on the Family series, which Douglas Gresham introduced. David Suchet voiced Aslan.

        Hugh

        To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4 9:05 PM
          Well, I accidentally hit send too soon...my apologies.

          I personally found this series to be entertaining. The dramas are fairly well adapted, and I think the versions of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, The Silver Chair and The Magician's Nephew to be strongest. Perhaps not surprisingly, MN works well in audio, leaving much of the creation to listener imagination. However, The Last Battle was disappointing, as I felt it tried to rely too much on (rather overly loud) sound effects.

          Suchet is very good. When I had more of a commute, I listened to these on my way to work, serializing them on my own by when I reached point A or point B, depending on the trajectory, and they worked quite well that way.

          Hugh

          To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
          From: HughHDavis@...
          Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 00:00:21 -0400
          Subject: RE: [mythsoc] Narnia audioplays

          To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 5 1:07 AM
            I heard a few episodes broadcast and, as I recall, it was reasonably well done... I'll make a run out and see what I find! Thanks, John.

            -- Lynn --