C. S. Lewis books go for a bundle!

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2009
      Saw this a few days ago and thought I'd share. If you click on the
      following link

      http://www.abebooks.com/books/best-reading/literary-top-10-ten-lists.shtml?cm_mmc=nl-_-nl-_-cme_lists-_-link02

      and scroll down to the section of the "10 Most Expensive Irish-
      Authored Books Ever Sold on AbeBooks.com"

      you'll see that CSL comes in at #3 (THE SCREWTAPE LETTERS, $9097), #5
      (OUT OF THE SILENT PLANET, $7950), and #10 (THE SILVER CHAIR, $5645)

      I found these results interesting because (1) it's a showing only
      slightly outdone by James Joyce (generally reckoned the most important
      writer of prose fiction in English of the last century), (2) it
      classes Lewis as an Irish writer, whereas most treat him as English, &
      (3) the price were far beyond what I'd expected. I knew collectable
      Tolkien went for an arm and a leg, but when did Lewis's books get to
      be so expensive?

      --John R.

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2009
        I looked through the lists at that website, and they're mostly sort of
        weird and arbitrary.

        Wendell Wagner

        In a message dated 8/1/2009 2:21:46 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        sacnoth@... writes:

        (2) it
        classes Lewis as an Irish writer, whereas most treat him as Englis

        steps!
        =JulystepsfooterNO115)

      • Lynn Maudlin
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2009
          I visited Belfast in 1998 for the CSL centenary and was struck by the fact that he considered himself Irish & going back to (Northern) Ireland was 'going home.' Ironically, he returned to Ireland more frequently than Joyce did...

          -- Lynn --