Re: [mythsoc] FIRST Chinese Translation for LoTR

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30, 2009
      >I'm hoping Wayne Hammond or someone else here can help answer a question
      >that was passed to me from another list.
      >
      >This gentleman claims to have written the first Chinese translation for
      >THE LORD OF THE RINGS:
      >
      ><http://cccpcusa.web.officelive.com/bob.aspx>http://cccpcusa.web.officelive.com/bob.aspx
      >
      >He is Huang Zhihong and he is NOT to be confused with the Taiwanese
      >translator (Lucifer Chu?) responsible for this book:
      ><http://www.childbook.com/Lord-of-the-Rings-The-Fellowship-of-the-Rings-p/a0411.htm>http://www.childbook.com/Lord-of-the-Rings-The-Fellowship-of-the-Rings-p/a0411.htm
      >
      >Does anyone know if the Huang Zhihong translation exists, either as a
      >published work or a manuscript?

      Alas, Michael, I was asked much the same question on that other list, and
      couldn't help there either. Information about Chinese translations, along
      with copies of the books themselves, has been slow to reach Christina and
      me. From what Ron Blanford said on the Tolkien List, that Huang Zhihong's
      translation "would have been sometime in the 70's or 80's. It was part of a
      series of literature digests, and so would have been highly abridged", it
      does seem to have been published, but also seems not to have been a
      complete translation. Ron has met the translator, and I hope will be able
      to learn more details.

      Wayne

    • Michael Martinez
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 30, 2009
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne G. Hammond" <Wayne.G.Hammond@...> wrote:

        > Alas, Michael, I was asked much the same question on that other
        > list, and couldn't help there either. Information about Chinese
        > translations, along with copies of the books themselves, has been
        > slow to reach Christina and me. From what Ron Blanford said on the
        > Tolkien List, that Huang Zhihong's translation "would have been
        > sometime in the 70's or 80's. It was part of a series of literature
        > digests, and so would have been highly abridged", it does seem to
        > have been published, but also seems not to have been a complete
        > translation. Ron has met the translator, and I hope will be able
        > to learn more details.
        >
        > Wayne

        Thanks for the quick reply. I'll let my friend know you've already responded on the other list (although I guess he would have seen that).

        --
        Michael Martinez
        http://www.michael-martinez.com/

        YOU CAN HELP OUR WOUNDED WARRIORS