FIRST Chinese Translation for LoTR

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30, 2009
      I'm hoping Wayne Hammond or someone else here can help answer a question that was passed to me from another list.

      This gentleman claims to have written the first Chinese translation for THE LORD OF THE RINGS:

      http://cccpcusa.web.officelive.com/bob.aspx

      He is Huang Zhihong and he is NOT to be confused with the Taiwanese translator (Lucifer Chu?) responsible for this book:
      http://www.childbook.com/Lord-of-the-Rings-The-Fellowship-of-the-Rings-p/a0411.htm

      Does anyone know if the Huang Zhihong translation exists, either as a published work or a manuscript?

      Thanks in advance.

      --
      Michael Martinez
      http://www.michael-martinez.com/

      YOU CAN HELP OUR WOUNDED WARRIORS
      http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 30, 2009
        >I'm hoping Wayne Hammond or someone else here can help answer a question
        >that was passed to me from another list.
        >
        >This gentleman claims to have written the first Chinese translation for
        >THE LORD OF THE RINGS:
        >
        ><http://cccpcusa.web.officelive.com/bob.aspx>http://cccpcusa.web.officelive.com/bob.aspx
        >
        >He is Huang Zhihong and he is NOT to be confused with the Taiwanese
        >translator (Lucifer Chu?) responsible for this book:
        ><http://www.childbook.com/Lord-of-the-Rings-The-Fellowship-of-the-Rings-p/a0411.htm>http://www.childbook.com/Lord-of-the-Rings-The-Fellowship-of-the-Rings-p/a0411.htm
        >
        >Does anyone know if the Huang Zhihong translation exists, either as a
        >published work or a manuscript?

        Alas, Michael, I was asked much the same question on that other list, and
        couldn't help there either. Information about Chinese translations, along
        with copies of the books themselves, has been slow to reach Christina and
        me. From what Ron Blanford said on the Tolkien List, that Huang Zhihong's
        translation "would have been sometime in the 70's or 80's. It was part of a
        series of literature digests, and so would have been highly abridged", it
        does seem to have been published, but also seems not to have been a
        complete translation. Ron has met the translator, and I hope will be able
        to learn more details.

        Wayne

      • Michael Martinez
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 30, 2009
          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne G. Hammond" <Wayne.G.Hammond@...> wrote:

          > Alas, Michael, I was asked much the same question on that other
          > list, and couldn't help there either. Information about Chinese
          > translations, along with copies of the books themselves, has been
          > slow to reach Christina and me. From what Ron Blanford said on the
          > Tolkien List, that Huang Zhihong's translation "would have been
          > sometime in the 70's or 80's. It was part of a series of literature
          > digests, and so would have been highly abridged", it does seem to
          > have been published, but also seems not to have been a complete
          > translation. Ron has met the translator, and I hope will be able
          > to learn more details.
          >
          > Wayne

          Thanks for the quick reply. I'll let my friend know you've already responded on the other list (although I guess he would have seen that).