RE: [mythsoc] Suit vs. the Hobbit

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 29, 2009
      Doug Kane <dougkane@...> wrote:

      >Moreover, it is inaccurate to say that New Line owns
      >the rights; they simply own an option licensed from Saul Zaentz.

      That's been my understanding, so I was a little puzzled to see the article at Salon <http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/btm/?last_story=/ent/movies/btm/feature/2009/07/28/hobbit/> calling him "one-time rights-holder Saul Zaentz." But the article at Variety that it linked to <http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117928289.html?categoryid=13&cs=1> says nothing about Zaentz having sold the rights, and indeed makes more sense if New Line is his licensee, as I thought in the first place.

      You know, I got interested in Tolkien because I wanted to see Bilbo go fight Wild Were-Worms in the East of East. Keeping track of which Hollywood moguls own which rights to what property is nowhere near as interesting as some seem to think.
    • Alana Joli Abbott
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 29, 2009
        Doug -- did you post any of that on the "Talkback" at SLJ? I'm sure the
        editors there (some of whom I've done work for) would much rather be
        accurate!
        -Alana

        --
        Alana Joli Abbott, Freelance Writer and Editor (
        http://www.virgilandbeatrice.com)
      • Doug Kane
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 29, 2009
          Alana, I haven't, but I can. :-)

          _____

          Doug -- did you post any of that on the "Talkback" at SLJ? I'm sure the
          editors there (some of whom I've done work for) would much rather be
          accurate!
          -Alana

          --
          Alana Joli Abbott, Freelance Writer and Editor (
          http://www.virgilan <http://www.virgilandbeatrice.com> dbeatrice.com)
          Author of "Nomi's Wish" (
          http://coyotewildma
          <http://coyotewildmag.com/2008/august/abbott_nomis_wish.html>
          g.com/2008/august/abbott_nomis_wish.html), featured in
          Coyote Wild Magazine
          Contributor to Serenity Adventures: http://tinyurl.
          <http://tinyurl.com/serenity-adventures> com/serenity-adventures
          Contributor to Ransom: The Anthology: http://tinyurl.
          <http://tinyurl.com/ransombook> com/ransombook

        • Alana Joli Abbott
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 29, 2009
            Thanks! :)
            -Alana

            --
            Alana Joli Abbott, Freelance Writer and Editor (
            http://www.virgilandbeatrice.com)
            Author of "Nomi's Wish" (
            http://coyotewildmag.com/2008/august/abbott_nomis_wish.html), featured in
            Coyote Wild Magazine
            Contributor to Serenity Adventures: http://tinyurl.com/serenity-adventures
            Contributor to Ransom: The Anthology: http://tinyurl.com/ransombook
          • John D Rateliff
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 29, 2009
              Doug:
              Here's Alana's original post from yesterday, including the link to
              the article:
              --JDR

              On Jul 28, 2009, at 4:49 PM, Alana Joli Abbott wrote:
              > School Library Journal just ran an article about the fight to stop
              > *The
              > Hobbit *from being made (unless the Tolkiens receive the money
              > they're due):
              >
              > http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6673069.html?desc=topstory
              >
              > --
              > Alana Joli Abbott, Freelance Writer and Editor (http://www.virgilandbeatrice.com
              > )
              > Author of "Nomi's Wish" (http://coyotewildmag.com/2008/august/abbott_nomis_wish.html
              > ),
              > featured in Coyote Wild Magazine
              > Contributor to Serenity Adventures: http://tinyurl.com/serenity-adventures
              > Contributor to Ransom: The Anthology: http://tinyurl.com/ransombook
              > --
            • John D Rateliff
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 29, 2009
                Vincent
                I'm not clear on whether your objections are to the journalese of
                the article or the facts of the case or the very idea of making the
                film. Can you expand a little on what the "few things" are that need
                be taken into account?
                --John R.