Re: [mythsoc] Suit vs. the Hobbit

  • Vincent Ferré
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 29, 2009
      Good morning to all,

      I think that it is a ridiculous way of presenting things, to evoke "the Tolkiens" and money like this. A few things are to be taken into account, regarding the Hobbit, the Tolkien Trust and royalties.

      vincent

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 29, 2009
        This article is one of many that I have seen based on that Bloomberg report
        that are inaccurate and misleading. They make is seem like the lawsuit was
        just filed, when of course it has already been ongoing for a year and a
        half. What is never mentioned is that the only new development is that New
        Line has filed a motion for summary adjudication of the plaintiff's cause of
        action asking for the right to terminate New Line's rights to make more
        films based on Tolkien's works (essentially, asking that that cause of
        action be thrown out). Moreover, it is inaccurate to say that New Line owns
        the rights; they simply own an option licensed from Saul Zaentz. Therefore,
        the statement that the plaintiffs are asking that the film rights be
        returned to Estate is simply flat out untrue. What they are asking for,
        essentially, is that New Line's rights be terminated, which in all
        likelihood would result in the rights reverting to Zaentz (or possibly to
        Miramax, which originally held the licence/option before selling it to New
        Line). A hearing is scheduled for September 15 on New Line's motion for
        summary adjudication. At that point we will know more about how likely it
        is that they will lose their rights to make The Hobbit, regardless of
        whether it is ultimately found that they owe the plaintiffs unpaid
        royalties.

        By the way, I didn't get Alana's original post that Vincent was responding
        to. That's the second time that has happened in the last week. I wonder
        how many other posts I haven't seen?

        Doug

        _____

        --
        Alana Joli Abbott, Freelance Writer and Editor (
        http://www.virgilan <http://www.virgilandbeatrice.com> dbeatrice.com)
        <http://tinyurl.com/serenity-adventures> com/serenity-adventures
        Contributor to Ransom: The Anthology: http://tinyurl.
        <http://tinyurl.com/ransombook> com/ransombook

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 29, 2009
          Doug Kane <dougkane@...> wrote:

          >Moreover, it is inaccurate to say that New Line owns
          >the rights; they simply own an option licensed from Saul Zaentz.

          That's been my understanding, so I was a little puzzled to see the article at Salon <http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/btm/?last_story=/ent/movies/btm/feature/2009/07/28/hobbit/> calling him "one-time rights-holder Saul Zaentz." But the article at Variety that it linked to <http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117928289.html?categoryid=13&cs=1> says nothing about Zaentz having sold the rights, and indeed makes more sense if New Line is his licensee, as I thought in the first place.

          You know, I got interested in Tolkien because I wanted to see Bilbo go fight Wild Were-Worms in the East of East. Keeping track of which Hollywood moguls own which rights to what property is nowhere near as interesting as some seem to think.
        • Alana Joli Abbott

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 29, 2009
              Alana, I haven't, but I can. :-)

              _____

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 29, 2009
                Thanks! :)
                -Alana

                --
                Alana Joli Abbott, Freelance Writer and Editor (
                http://www.virgilandbeatrice.com)
                Author of "Nomi's Wish" (
                http://coyotewildmag.com/2008/august/abbott_nomis_wish.html), featured in
                Coyote Wild Magazine
                Contributor to Serenity Adventures: http://tinyurl.com/serenity-adventures
                Contributor to Ransom: The Anthology: http://tinyurl.com/ransombook
              • John D Rateliff
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 29, 2009
                  Doug:
                  Here's Alana's original post from yesterday, including the link to
                  the article:
                  --JDR

                  On Jul 28, 2009, at 4:49 PM, Alana Joli Abbott wrote:
                  > School Library Journal just ran an article about the fight to stop
                  > *The
                  > Hobbit *from being made (unless the Tolkiens receive the money
                  > they're due):
                  >
                  > http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6673069.html?desc=topstory
                  >
                  > --
                  > Alana Joli Abbott, Freelance Writer and Editor (http://www.virgilandbeatrice.com
                  > )
                  > Author of "Nomi's Wish" (http://coyotewildmag.com/2008/august/abbott_nomis_wish.html
                  > ),
                  > featured in Coyote Wild Magazine
                  > Contributor to Serenity Adventures: http://tinyurl.com/serenity-adventures
                  > Contributor to Ransom: The Anthology: http://tinyurl.com/ransombook
                  > --
                • John D Rateliff
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 29, 2009
                    Vincent
                    I'm not clear on whether your objections are to the journalese of
                    the article or the facts of the case or the very idea of making the
                    film. Can you expand a little on what the "few things" are that need
                    be taken into account?
                    --John R.