Suit vs. the Hobbit

  • Alana Joli Abbott
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 28 4:49 PM
      School Library Journal just ran an article about the fight to stop *The
      Hobbit *from being made (unless the Tolkiens receive the money they're due):

      http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6673069.html?desc=topstory

      --
      Alana Joli Abbott, Freelance Writer and Editor (
      http://www.virgilandbeatrice.com)
    • Vincent Ferré
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 29 12:31 AM
        Good morning to all,

        I think that it is a ridiculous way of presenting things, to evoke "the Tolkiens" and money like this. A few things are to be taken into account, regarding the Hobbit, the Tolkien Trust and royalties.

        vincent

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 29 6:31 AM
          This article is one of many that I have seen based on that Bloomberg report
          that are inaccurate and misleading. They make is seem like the lawsuit was
          just filed, when of course it has already been ongoing for a year and a
          half. What is never mentioned is that the only new development is that New
          Line has filed a motion for summary adjudication of the plaintiff's cause of
          action asking for the right to terminate New Line's rights to make more
          films based on Tolkien's works (essentially, asking that that cause of
          action be thrown out). Moreover, it is inaccurate to say that New Line owns
          the rights; they simply own an option licensed from Saul Zaentz. Therefore,
          the statement that the plaintiffs are asking that the film rights be
          returned to Estate is simply flat out untrue. What they are asking for,
          essentially, is that New Line's rights be terminated, which in all
          likelihood would result in the rights reverting to Zaentz (or possibly to
          Miramax, which originally held the licence/option before selling it to New
          Line). A hearing is scheduled for September 15 on New Line's motion for
          summary adjudication. At that point we will know more about how likely it
          is that they will lose their rights to make The Hobbit, regardless of
          whether it is ultimately found that they owe the plaintiffs unpaid
          royalties.

          By the way, I didn't get Alana's original post that Vincent was responding
          to. That's the second time that has happened in the last week. I wonder
          how many other posts I haven't seen?

          Doug

          _____

          School Library Journal just ran an article about the fight to stop *The
          Hobbit *from being made (unless the Tolkiens receive the money they're due):

          http://www.schoolli
          <http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6673069.html?desc=topstory>
          braryjournal.com/article/CA6673069.html?desc=topstory

          --
          Alana Joli Abbott, Freelance Writer and Editor (
          http://www.virgilan <http://www.virgilandbeatrice.com> dbeatrice.com)
          Author of "Nomi's Wish" (
          http://coyotewildma
          <http://tinyurl.com/serenity-adventures> com/serenity-adventures
          Contributor to Ransom: The Anthology: http://tinyurl.
          <http://tinyurl.com/ransombook> com/ransombook

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 29 7:01 AM
            Doug Kane <dougkane@...> wrote:

            >Moreover, it is inaccurate to say that New Line owns
            >the rights; they simply own an option licensed from Saul Zaentz.

            That's been my understanding, so I was a little puzzled to see the article at Salon <http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/btm/?last_story=/ent/movies/btm/feature/2009/07/28/hobbit/> calling him "one-time rights-holder Saul Zaentz." But the article at Variety that it linked to <http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117928289.html?categoryid=13&cs=1> says nothing about Zaentz having sold the rights, and indeed makes more sense if New Line is his licensee, as I thought in the first place.

            You know, I got interested in Tolkien because I wanted to see Bilbo go fight Wild Were-Worms in the East of East. Keeping track of which Hollywood moguls own which rights to what property is nowhere near as interesting as some seem to think.
          • Alana Joli Abbott

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 29 8:51 AM
                Alana, I haven't, but I can. :-)

                _____

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 29 9:43 AM
                  Thanks! :)
                  -Alana

                  --
                  Alana Joli Abbott, Freelance Writer and Editor (
                  http://www.virgilandbeatrice.com)
                  Author of "Nomi's Wish" (
                  http://coyotewildmag.com/2008/august/abbott_nomis_wish.html), featured in
                  Coyote Wild Magazine
                  Contributor to Serenity Adventures: http://tinyurl.com/serenity-adventures
                  Contributor to Ransom: The Anthology: http://tinyurl.com/ransombook
                • John D Rateliff
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 29 11:20 AM
                    Doug:
                    Here's Alana's original post from yesterday, including the link to
                    the article:
                    --JDR

                    On Jul 28, 2009, at 4:49 PM, Alana Joli Abbott wrote:
                    > School Library Journal just ran an article about the fight to stop
                    > *The
                    > Hobbit *from being made (unless the Tolkiens receive the money
                    > they're due):
                    >
                    > http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6673069.html?desc=topstory
                    >
                    > --
                    > Alana Joli Abbott, Freelance Writer and Editor (http://www.virgilandbeatrice.com
                    > )
                    > Author of "Nomi's Wish" (http://coyotewildmag.com/2008/august/abbott_nomis_wish.html
                    > ),
                    > featured in Coyote Wild Magazine
                    > Contributor to Serenity Adventures: http://tinyurl.com/serenity-adventures
                    > Contributor to Ransom: The Anthology: http://tinyurl.com/ransombook
                    > --
                  • John D Rateliff
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 29 11:26 AM
                      Vincent
                      I'm not clear on whether your objections are to the journalese of
                      the article or the facts of the case or the very idea of making the
                      film. Can you expand a little on what the "few things" are that need
                      be taken into account?
                      --John R.