Mythopoeic Awards: 2009 Winners Announced

  • hoytrand
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 19, 2009
      The Mythopoeic Award winners were announced tonight at Mythcon 40: [http://www.mythsoc.org/news/awards.winners.2009/%5d.

      * Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Adult Literature
      Carol Berg, Flesh and Spirit and Breath and Bone (Roc)

      * Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Children's Literature
      Kristin Cashore, Graceling (Harcourt Children's Books)

      * Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in Inklings Studies
      John Rateliff, The History of the Hobbit, Part One: Mr. Baggins;
      Part Two: Return to Bag-end (Houghton Mifflin, 2007)

      * Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in Myth and Fantasy Studies
      Charles Butler, Four British Fantasists: Place and Culture in
      the Children's Fantasies of Penelope Lively, Alan Garner, Diana
      Wynne Jones, and Susan Cooper (Children's Literature Association
      & Scarecrow Press, 2006)
    • William Cloud Hicklin
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 20, 2009
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "hoytrand" <randy@...> wrote:

        > The Mythopoeic Award winners were announced tonight at Mythcon 40: [http://www.mythsoc.org/news/awards.winners.2009/%5d.

        > * Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in Inklings Studies
        > John Rateliff, The History of the Hobbit, Part One: Mr. Baggins;
        > Part Two: Return to Bag-end (Houghton Mifflin, 2007)

        Congrats, John! Well-deserved!
      • Cathy Akers-Jordan
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 20, 2009
          Indeed! Congrats, John!

          Cathy

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "William Cloud Hicklin" <solicitr@...> wrote:

          > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "hoytrand" <randy@> wrote:
          > >
          > > The Mythopoeic Award winners were announced tonight at Mythcon 40: [http://www.mythsoc.org/news/awards.winners.2009/%5d.
          >

          > > * Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in Inklings Studies
          > > John Rateliff, The History of the Hobbit, Part One: Mr. Baggins;
          > > Part Two: Return to Bag-end (Houghton Mifflin, 2007)
          > >

          > Congrats, John! Well-deserved!

        • Doug Kane
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 20, 2009
            Congrats, indeed! I was very pleased to hear your name called. Loved your
            acceptance speech; sorry you weren't there to give it personally.

            I also want to thank Sarah Beach and all the people that made Mythcon 40
            such a special weekend.

            Doug

            _____

            [http://www.mythsoc <http://www.mythsoc.org/news/awards.winners.2009/>
            org/news/awards.winners.2009/].

            > > * Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in Inklings Studies
            > > John Rateliff, The History of the Hobbit, Part One: Mr. Baggins;
            > > Part Two: Return to Bag-end (Houghton Mifflin, 2007)
            > >

            > Congrats, John! Well-deserved!

          • Lynn Maudlin
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 22, 2009
              Congratulations, John! And Doug, it was great to meet you - Mythcons are sooooo much fun! We should all do it again next year, with even more folks attending...

              Start planning now: Dallas, mid-July, with air conditioning...

              -- Lynn --

            • juliet@firinn.org
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 25, 2009
                On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 03:52:59AM -0000, Lynn Maudlin wrote:
                > Start planning now: Dallas, mid-July, with air conditioning...

                Ooh if it's Dallas maybe I can finally go! Of course, I'll have an eight
                month baby by then, so that may limit my ability to be gone all day.

                Julie
              • Margaret Dean
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 25, 2009
                  On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 2:05 PM, <juliet@...> wrote:

                  > On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 03:52:59AM -0000, Lynn Maudlin wrote:
                  >> Start planning now: Dallas, mid-July, with air conditioning...
                  >
                  > Ooh if it's Dallas maybe I can finally go! Of course, I'll have an eight
                  > month baby by then, so that may limit my ability to be gone all day.

                  Bring the kid along! Should still be in the portable stage by then... ;)

                  --Margaret Dean, who once attended a Mythcon with a year-and-a-bit baby in tow
                  <margdean56@...>
                • Lynn Maudlin
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 25, 2009
                    Even *part* of a Mythcon is better than no Mythcon at all! And you have no idea how many Mythcon babies we've had, through the years, many of whom have grown up into independently Mythie adults! Sort of a "breed your own" policy... {grin}

                    Hope you can make it!
                    -- Lynn --