Harry Potter and the Supreme Court Nominee

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 16, 2009
      Y'all might be interested in the Washington Post's take on the racial issues implicit in the Potterverse:

      http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/panelists/susan_brooks_thistlethwaite/2009/07/harry_potter_wizards_and_racism.html

      "Rowling's use of the term "half-blood" to vividly evoke the damaging effects of racial prejudice in the life of some of her key characters must be highlighted, especially this week. This is the same week where the American people have been treated to the unseemly spectacle of conservative politicians using "racism" as a club to beat up Judge Sonia Sotomayor, the first Hispanic American woman nominated to the United States Supreme Court."

      emerdavid

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
    • Lynn Maudlin
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 22, 2009
        Oh good heavens-- it was Sotomayor who said a wise Latina woman would make better decisions than a white man, so if race has been introduced into the scenario, there it is (*ahem* Clarence Thomas?!).

        politically correct movie reviews *shudder*

        But hey, we missed you at Mythcon, David!

        smooches,

        -- Lynn --

        > Y'all might be interested in the Washington Post's take on the racial issues implicit in the Potterverse:
        >
        > http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/panelists/susan_brooks_thistlethwaite/2009/07/harry_potter_wizards_and_racism.html
        >
        > "Rowling's use of the term "half-blood" to vividly evoke the damaging effects of racial prejudice in the life of some of her key characters must be highlighted, especially this week. This is the same week where the American people have been treated to the unseemly spectacle of conservative politicians using "racism" as a club to beat up Judge Sonia Sotomayor, the first Hispanic American woman nominated to the United States Supreme Court."
        >
        > emerdavid

        > PeoplePC Online
        > A better way to Internet
        > http://www.peoplepc.com

      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 23, 2009
          I haven't seen the movie yet, so I can't comment on the review, other
          than to say that Rowling's work has been striking in how she's written
          about issues that have, as she was publishing the series, become so
          'applicable' that many think she's writing about the specific Now
          rather than the universal Things Are This Way.

          I'm more concerned in that I got Lynn's reply quoting David E.'s post,
          yet I've never gotten Dave Emerson's original posting itself. Did
          anyone else have this trouble?

          --John R.

        • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 24, 2009
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 24, 2009
              I don't believe that I received David's original post, either.

              _____

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 24, 2009
                It looks to me like Yahoo! Groups has changed the way they structure the topics and replies, which I find confusing (old dog, different trick)...

                -- Lynn --