Re: Mythcon 40 Parking, transport, etc.

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 13, 2009
      Twitter: <http://twitter.com/Mythcon40>
      I suggest using the hashtag #mc40 - should be an easy way to track real-time Mythcon info.

      -- Lynn --

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn Maudlin" <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:

      > This being Los Angeles, lots of people will drive to Mythcon and want parking at UCLA (latest details from Sarah Beach below).
      >
      > BUT some of you may be flying in - from LAX there's the Flyaway (non-stop) bus from LAX to Westwood/UCLA ($5 - such a deal, runs every 30 minutes) that will drop you & your luggage a couple of blocks from The De Neve Commons (351 Charles Young Dr, West). If you're good at uphill schlepping & don't have too many bags, you're all set - otherwise you may want to call a taxi for that final mile.
      >
      > IF I am quickly notified of interest, I can probably arrange for a nice young man and his nice car to hover nearby and pick you up & drive you up the hill for ($10 ? 2 for 15? 3 for 20?) BUT obviously this requires arranging it in advance!
      >
      > So email me mythcon AT mythsoc DOT org and if there's enough interest I'll set it up & provide his cell number. IF THAT HAPPENS I'll also post it on Twitter, both Mythcon40 and MythconLynn.
      >
      > Let me know ASAP please.
      >
      > -- Lynn --
      >
      > RE: Parking (From Sarah)
      > On arriving -- there is some 30 minute Loading Zone parking that is free. I'm (Sarah) not exactly sure on the location, but will check when I arrive on Thursday. Then I or a henchling will be able to point it out to arrivals.
      >
      > This will allow folks to unload any passengers and baggage and pick up the parking permits. The instructions for display are printed on them, so i don't have to do a flyer for that.
      >
      > ALSO and this is the important thing for any questions --- and why I
      > included Edith in this message --- people WILL be able to buy individual day permits at the DeNeve Front Desk.
      >
      > So if people don't stop at a kiosk and just get to the con site first,
      > they will be able to deal with it right there.

    • Doug Kane
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 13, 2009
        Hi Lynn,

        You seem to be doing the heavy lifting in deciminating info today so I
        thought I'd direct this to you. Let me know if the question should be
        directed to Sarah or someone else.

        I've not been to a conference before so I'm a little in the dark; forgive
        the naive question. My partner Beth and I are flying into LAX at 7:45 p.m.
        on Friday, so I would guess that by the time we catch the shuttle and then
        hoof up the hill, it will be after nine. I presume that we still can check
        in then, and find out where our room is? And what do we do/where do we go
        to do so? Any help and advice you can give this neophyte would be greatly
        appreciated.

        Thanks,
        Doug Kane

        <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=45737/grpspId=1705020227/msgId=2
        0669/stime=1247539588/nc1=3848621/nc2=5758220/nc3=5741398>

      • Doug Kane
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 13, 2009
          Whoops, I meant to send that privately to Lynn. Sorry, everyone.

          _____

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 13, 2009
            No problem, Doug - this is information that will be useful to a number of people & not just yourself.

            I'll wave at Sarah - I *believe* that the UCLA desk at De Neve is open 24 hours... let me also get Gavin's (MC 40's registrar) cell phone # - that's how we've handled "odd hours" arrival the last few years...

            -- Lynn --

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 13, 2009
              Disseminating more information about check-in...

              YES, DeNeve Commons has a 24-hour desk and people can check into their rooms anytime *after* 4 pm on the day of arrival (before 4 pm rooms *may* be available but you may need to wait).

              MYTHCON Registration during the day will be located in the DeNeve lobby very near the front desk (how convenient!). Late registration on Friday will be in Conference Hospitality (the room DeNeve A3).

              Mythcon Registration will open by noon on Friday and 8:30 a.m. on other days - Gavin's cell phone number (our registrar) is 626-381-8956.