Re: [mythsoc] Paranormal Romance query

  • Alana Joli Abbott
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 13, 2009
      Actually (and I already said some of this to Ellen), I think you're talking
      about two different kinds of paranormal romance:

      Some paranormal romances come directly out of modern horror. They're
      grittier, darker, and the main element of the writing (to start out with, at
      least) is the horror element, not the romance. Some of those end up going
      more deeply into erotica rather than relationships as a focal factor. (I'd
      say Laurel K. Hamilton's novels fit in there.)

      Some paranormal romances come out of category romance, or suspense romances.
      There, the paranormal element is part of the world building, but the core
      focus of the story is still the relationship between the hero and the
      heroine and how they end up happily ever after.

      Other paranormal romances come out of urban fantasy -- which in itself has
      several different forefathers. (I've heard critics say that "real" urban
      fantasy comes out of noir detective novels, and others say it also comes out
      of category romance, and still others say it comes out of contemporary
      fantasy -- all of which can be true depending on the novel.) The paranormal
      romance that's closest to the urban fantasy border tends to have a really
      strong romantic (meaning relationship, rather than erotic, although the
      latter isn't necessary out of the question) element without the easy
      happily-ever-after ending. A lot of these tend to be series where the same
      hero and heroine banter back and forth over the course of several books,
      sometimes acknowledging that they're in a relationship early on, sometimes
      going through a love-hate cycle. In some ways, those series seem to me to
      have more in common with a television series style of storytelling than
      other paranormal romances.

      Obviously as a paranormal romance reader I've given too much thought to
      this. :)

      -Alana

      --
      Alana Joli Abbott, Freelance Writer and Editor (
      http://www.virgilandbeatrice.com)