Journey to the Sea #12

  • hoytrand
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2009
      I have published the twelfth issue of my online myth magazine Journey
      to the Sea [http://journeytothesea.com/%5d. This issue includes three articles about stories with journeys to an underworld, including one article on the land of the dead in Ursula K. Le Guin's *Earthsea*.

      (I didn't post here about the eleventh issue because it did not have any articles about modern fiction, but I included summaries of the articles below. That issue included a call for submissions, which some may want to check out.)

      Enjoy!
      ~Randy

      ----

      Orpheus's Descent to Hades
      http://journeytothesea.com/orpheus-naples/
      ====
      Randy looks at a sculpture of Orpheus and different versions of his story from antiquity, considering the connection between a work of art and its narrative when viewers might know a different version of the story then the artist.

      Jesus's Harrowing of Hell in the Christian Apocryphal Tradition
      http://journeytothesea.com/harrowing-of-hell/
      ====
      The story of Jesus traveling to the underworld is one of many stories better known through its visual representations throughout the churches in Europe than in any written narrative form.

      The Land of the Dead in Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea
      http://journeytothesea.com/leguin-earthsea-underworld/
      ====
      Laura begins her series looking at the land of the dead in works of modern fantasy, exploring its geography, its connection to the land of the living, and its significance in Earthsea.

      Considering the Lilies of the Field
      http://journeytothesea.com/jesus-lilies/
      ====
      Not all products of mythical thinking are narratives. Randy explores one such example from the first century CE, a teaching from the Sermon on the Mount about the lilies of the field, worrying, and trusting in God.

      Christianizing Aesop: The Fables of Odo of Cheriton
      http://journeytothesea.com/christianizing-aesop-odo/
      ====
      Laura discusses the ways medieval scholars incorporated Aesopic fables into a Christian framework, looking specifically at the thirteenth-century Latin fables of Odo of Cheriton.

      Call For Submissions
      http://journeytothesea.com/call-for-submissions/
      ====
      Randy is always on the lookout for contributions that he can publish on the site from other authors. If you have a passion for myth, take a look at the guidelines and consider submitting an article.