Re: [mythsoc] LotR 50th Anniversary Edition in Paperback?

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2009
      >Does anyone know if the LotR 50th Anniversary Edition is available in
      >paperback? This is all I could find on Amazon:
      >
      >ISBN-10: 0618640150
      >
      >This looks like an ordinary reprint of the usual text. I want the 50th
      >Ann. Ed. with the corrections approved by Christopher Tolkien.
      >
      >If you know where I can find one, please let know and please include the
      >ISBN if possible.

      The edition you cite does have the 50th anniversary text, as noted in the
      page heading. The cover illustration on the standard one-volume paperback
      is now different than is shown on Amazon, however, and the spine imprint is
      now "HMH" for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (post-merger). The newer, extended
      ISBN for the one-volume paperback is 978-0-618-64015-7. Amazon US also
      sells the Houghton Mifflin edition in three trade paperback volumes, ISBNs
      978-0-618-57494-0, 978-0-618-57495-7, and 978-0-618-57497-1, also with the
      revised text. A good indicator of the revised text is always the presence
      of my and Christina's "Note on the 50th Anniversary Edition" preceding
      Tolkien's Foreword; but only later editions, published after the 2004
      anniversary, have the new index, which wasn't ready until 2005.

      Emendations made to the copy text of The Lord of the Rings for the 2004
      anniversary edition and to the 2005 printing thereof, and notes on a
      handful of corrections missed in 2004-5 but picked up in later
      HarperCollins printings (e.g. the current UK one-volume paperback, ISBN
      978-0-261-10325-2) but not by Houghton Mifflin, are listed in The Lord of
      the Rings: A Reader's Companion, available in hardcover from Houghton
      Mifflin in the US and in trade paperback from HarperCollins elsewhere. The
      trade paperback text is slightly revised; comprehensive addenda and
      corrigenda are listed at <http://mysite.verizon.net/wghammond>.

      Wayne

    • Cathy Akers-Jordan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 4, 2009
        Wayne,

        Thank you very much for your quick and detailed reply!

        > ...are listed in The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion,
        > available in hardcover from Houghton Mifflin in the US and in trade
        > paperback from HarperCollins elsewhere.

        I actually own the hardback version and didn't remember that reference. (blush) Oops!

        Thank you again,

        Cathy