Lord of the Rings in Tehran

  • ernestsdavis
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 25, 2009
      Hoping not to start a political discussion here, but I thought these posts from Andrew Sullivan's blog http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/
      might be of interest: (Incidentally, this is one of the three best web
      sources on the Iran crisis, the other two being the Huffington Post and the Lede Blog of the NY Times.)

      -- Ernie

      25 Jun 2009 11:26 am
      La-La-La-La-La-La-La

      A report from Tehran:
      In Tehran, state television's Channel Two is putting on a "Lord of the
      Rings" marathon, part of a bigger push to keep us busy. Movie mad and
      immunized from international copyright laws, Iranians are normally treated to one or two Hollywood or European movie nights a week. Now it's two or three films a day. The message is "Don't Worry, Be Happy." Let's watch, forget about what's happened, never mind. Stop dwelling in the past. Look ahead.

      25 Jun 2009 01:25 pm
      The Lord Of The Rings Gambit

      Yes, they are clueless, aren't they? Many readers have noticed how evocative that movie trilogy's themes are - and how they could easily help inspire dogged resistance. This nails it:

      Who picked this film? ... There are the overt Mousavi themes: the unwanted quest and the risking of life in pursuit of an unanticipated destiny. Then there is the sly nod to Ahmadinejad. Iranian films are dubbed (forget the wretched dubbing into English in the U.S.; in Iran dubbing is a craft) and there are plenty of references to "kootoole," little person, the Farsi word used in the movie for hobbit and dwarf. "Kootoole," of course, was, is, the term used in many of the chants out on the street against President Ahmadinejad. He is the "little person." ("And whose side are you on?" Pippin asks the ancient, forest-dwelling giant named Treebeard. Those watching might think the answer is Mousavi, since Treebeard is decked out in green.)
    • Alana Joli Abbott
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 25, 2009
        People interested in following the Iran crisis might also be interested in
        checking out Alive in Tehran, a citizen driven media group.
        http://www.aliveintehran.com.

        Ernie, thanks for the interesting posts!

        -Alana

        --
        Alana Joli Abbott, Freelance Writer and Editor (
        http://www.virgilandbeatrice.com)
      • ernestsdavis
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 25, 2009
          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "ernestsdavis" <davise@...> wrote:

          > Hoping not to start a political discussion here, but I thought these posts from Andrew Sullivan's blog http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/
          > might be of interest:

          Here is the link to the full original article, which talks about how Iranians might be applying images from the movie to the current conflict.

          http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2009/06/24/tehran_seven/index.html

          -- Ernie
        • ernestsdavis
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 25, 2009