Re: Book-hurling

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 24, 2009
      A friend I turned on to Connie Willis was reading through her works and she literally threw LINCOLN'S DREAMS across the room (against a wall? I don't know) when she finished the book. Not that she found the book bad or anything, just that she was so surprised and disturbed by it, she needed to in some way physicalize her reaction.

      I should point out she re-read the book repeatedly...

      -- Lynn --

    • scribbler@scribblerworks.us
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 24, 2009
        I do hope everyone realizes that the Book Toss is intended to have a bit
        of fun.

        That said, there has been one time that I literally wanted to hurl a book
        away from me. I was reading the *Celestine Prophecies* as research for a
        friend's project. I am capable of tolerating (if not approving) a lot of
        idiocy in written works -- but when I reached a point late in the book
        (which I found greatly annoying as it progressed), where the hero, in the
        wilds of South America looks up into the sky at the partial moon in what
        is supposed to be an inspiring night scene, and muses that people half a
        world away are looking on the full face of that same moon -- I wanted it
        out of my hands immediately and forcefully.

        Alas, it was a library book, or I would indeed have hurled it.

        If the writer can't get basic physical facts straight, why should I trust
        him on spiritual/supernatural matters?