Redwall

  • Margaret Dean
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2 6:01 PM
      "David S. Bratman" wrote:

      > I don't think there's anything wrong with objecting to mixed moral
      > messages and squeamy situations. The kid has a point. I followed him
      > right up until he recommended Redwall. Oh well, nobody's perfect.

      *sigh* I believe I consented to read a total of three of the
      Redwall books to my kids. After that, I said "No more until you
      can hand me one that =doesn't= have an 'Evil Overlord' plot."

      --Margaret Dean
      <margdean@...>
    • Margaret Dean
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2000
        ERATRIANO@... wrote:

        > Sounds like I should avoid Goldthwaite, and the jury is still out on Pullman.
        > On the other hand, there are constantly more and more Redwall books, and I
        > can't help but wonder if they are enjoyable.

        My elder son, who's ten, likes them a lot. Myself, I rebelled at
        reading them aloud to the two boys after the third one with
        essentially the same "Evil Overlord" plot. I have trouble not
        only with this, but also problems of scale (I'm sorry, I can't
        see a badger sitting down at the same table with a bunch of
        mice...) and the idea that certain species of animals are
        =always= the "bad guys" while closely related species are
        =always= among the "good guys." (E.g. stoats, weasels, and
        ferrets are Bad while otters and badgers are Good.)

        OTOH, the writing isn't bad, and the books have Good Food
        Values. :)

        --Margaret Dean
        <margdean@...>
      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2000
          In a message dated 11/01/2000 9:21:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          margdean@... writes:

          << My elder son, who's ten, likes them a lot. Myself, I rebelled at
          reading them aloud to the two boys after the third one with
          essentially the same "Evil Overlord" plot. I have trouble not
          only with this, but also problems of scale (I'm sorry, I can't
          see a badger sitting down at the same table with a bunch of
          mice...) and the idea that certain species of animals are
          =always= the "bad guys" while closely related species are
          =always= among the "good guys." (E.g. stoats, weasels, and
          ferrets are Bad while otters and badgers are Good.)

          OTOH, the writing isn't bad, and the books have Good Food
          Values. :) >>

          Good food values? You mean they eat a lot of vegetables? ggg

          I can see the trouble with scale, but personally I'd get over it okay. I
          have more trouble, in Paksenarrion, with all this male-female interaction and
          no flirting.. lol. Have you tried Horwood's Duncton Wood and it's
          companions? Those moles? I guess the thing to read before Duncton is Adams'
          Watership Down. They are like yet unalike. There is a familiarity of
          landscape throughout. Are the Redwall books set as if in the UK? Anyway,
          Duncton is rather older fare, but I was 9 or 10 when I first read LOTR.
          Maybe I should start collecting a few Redwall titles.

          As for the "like animals" thing, that is really traditional. More than that,
          even stereotypical. Weasels and stoats are always the bad guys. Badgers are
          often venerable, often gruff. Otters I haven't seen as much of, but I
          imagine they'd be playful, fast and strong. You'd think there would be more
          ferrets, especially any time the characters are in areas where there are Men
          (like when the Watership rabbits gain domesticated friends). That they are
          all Mustelidae is not really relevant, I mean, it binds them together, sure,
          as being kinda smart and kinda ferocious, but it no more means they should be
          like each other than all of any other animal family, including, say, rodents
          or primates. Maybe I should 'fess up here that I have a soft spot for
          Mustelidae, and own a good half-a-dozen badger carvings and would love to
          find a good one of a wolverine and a river otter. Not a sea otter. lol

          Lizzie
        • alexeik@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2000
            In a message dated 11/2/0 3:16:20 PM, Lizzie wrote:

            <<Have you tried Horwood's Duncton Wood and it's
            companions? Those moles? I guess the thing to read before Duncton is Adams'
            Watership Down. They are like yet unalike. There is a familiarity of
            landscape throughout. >>

            The biggest difference is that Adams has tried to make his rabbits act like
            rabbits and to give them a culture that's as consistent as possible with
            rabbit behaviour. Horwood doesn't make as much of an effort in that direction
            in _Duncton Wood_: his moles may dig tunnels, but they're extremely
            anthropomorphic in their behaviour and relationships. Still, the story has a
            unique sort of emotional intensity, and is well worth reading. (The story, by
            the way, takes place near the Welsh border, and there are Welsh moles that
            speak Welsh!)
            Has anyone read Horwood's _The Stonor Eagles_? It has two intertwined
            plots, one of them a realistic novel with human protagonists (the hero being
            a young artist who makes sculptures of eagles), the other a fantasy about the
            sea eagles themselves. I remember that I rather enjoyed it, and found the
            contrast between the two plots invigorating.
            Alexei
          • ERATRIANO@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 29, 2001
              They've made Redwall into a cartoon. Maybe a while ago. I caught it on a
              public TV station this morning. There's a website, probably for kids:
              www.redwalltv.com. Cute show.

              Lizzie