Another hitherto-unknown Tolkien geek celebrity

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 22, 2009
      Check out John Hodgman's speech at the press club:

      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/19/john-hodgman-radio-and-tv_n_218349.html

      At about 2:50 he recites the three varieties of Hobbits. The rest of the speech is really good,too.

      emerdavid

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 22, 2009
        Hitherto-unknown, certainly, as before now I'd never heard of him.

        Of the two trivia questions he poses to the President near the end, I could answer the first but not the second, despite the fact that I've read the second book but not any of the first.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 23, 2009
          In a message dated 6/22/2009 7:51:36 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          dbratman@... writes:

          Hitherto-unknown, certainly, as before now I'd never heard of him.

          John Hodgman is known mostly as being the PC (playing against Justin Long
          as the Mac) in the long-running series of commercials for Apple.

          Steps!
          (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222377052x1201454391/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=Jun
          eExcfooterNO62)

        • Hugh Davis
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 23, 2009
            John Hodgman wrote a book called The Areas of My Expertise, a sort of memoir satire with little-to-know actual facts (it is an almanac with such sections as "Hobo Matters," along with various Cryptozoological Facts), and after that began appearing on The Daily Show as their "resident expert" on a variety of topics. His delivery style is the same as how he gave the address at the press meeting. One gets the impression most of the Daily Show/Colbert Report writers have a deep knowledge of Tolkien.

            To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com